Codes!codes!codes! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 16:33   #1 (permalink)
Ford man since 1980-27yrs

Codes!codes!codes!

Hi everyone,I just grabbed the codes outta my car cause I noticed my gas milage wasn't so good and my tranny's been acting wierd,I have a 95 sable with 122000km and still looks new inside and out but I jst got alot of codes and don't understand some of them.anyway here they are...

335 Where is the sensor located?
336 Where is the sensor located?
213 What the hell is this?
538 What causes this?
536???
521Where is this?

I know the first two is the same problem sensor but not sure about the rest.
BTW it took me awile to find the code reader plug,it was located on the passenger side of the car under the plastic cover where the wiper motor is at.Can anyone help me with these codes?I sank alot of $$$ in the last 6 mth. and I'm near the end of my rope.
extremetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 01:54   #2 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

Re: Codes!codes!codes!

DTC 335 indicates the Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) / Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor is out of Self-Test range.

Possible causes:

* Damaged PFE/DPFE sensor.
* Obstructed pressure inlet hose(s).
* Garage exhaust ventilation system affecting PFE/DPFE sensor operation.

NOTE: PFE/DPFE system can sense a lack of pressure in the vehicle exhaust system. An efficient garage exhaust ventilation system that is installed during Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Test Mode may generate a DTC 335.[SIZE="1"]replace dpfe/egr sensor should be on the back of the engine.on top. look at the part online at autozone then try to see if you can see it on the engine

the rest deal with operator error such as your foot was on the brake when test was downloading - codes 536 and 538 and possibly 521 also

i cannot find out what 213 is except SPOUT circuit open.

like i said replace the dpfe sensor perferbly with a plastic one(better) then erase codes by

CONTINUOUS MEMORY

Do not disconnect the battery to clear continuous memory codes. This will erase the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) information which may cause a driveability concern.

Run the Key On Engine Off Self-Test.

When the service codes begin to be displayed, deactivate the Self-Test as follows:

STAR tester: unlatch the center button to the UP position.

Analog voltmeter and MIL: remove the jumper wire from between the Self-Test Input (STI) connector and the signal return pin of the Self-Test connector.

The continuous memory codes will be erased from the ECU memory.
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 13:00   #3 (permalink)

Thanks mre_power,I forgot to mention(not sure it makes a difference)my cars a 95 but has a 94 motor which is original to the car.Would the 335 error happend if the cat was modified?My technician told me that someone emptied the cat and then reweld it back shut.To me that would make sense of getting the error.What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre_power
DTC 335 indicates the Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) / Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor is out of Self-Test range.

Possible causes:

* Damaged PFE/DPFE sensor.
* Obstructed pressure inlet hose(s).
* Garage exhaust ventilation system affecting PFE/DPFE sensor operation.

NOTE: PFE/DPFE system can sense a lack of pressure in the vehicle exhaust system. An efficient garage exhaust ventilation system that is installed during Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Test Mode may generate a DTC 335.[SIZE="1"]replace dpfe/egr sensor should be on the back of the engine.on top. look at the part online at autozone then try to see if you can see it on the engine

the rest deal with operator error such as your foot was on the brake when test was downloading - codes 536 and 538 and possibly 521 also

i cannot find out what 213 is except SPOUT circuit open.

like i said replace the dpfe sensor perferbly with a plastic one(better) then erase codes by

CONTINUOUS MEMORY

Do not disconnect the battery to clear continuous memory codes. This will erase the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) information which may cause a driveability concern.

Run the Key On Engine Off Self-Test.

When the service codes begin to be displayed, deactivate the Self-Test as follows:

STAR tester: unlatch the center button to the UP position.

Analog voltmeter and MIL: remove the jumper wire from between the Self-Test Input (STI) connector and the signal return pin of the Self-Test connector.

The continuous memory codes will be erased from the ECU memory.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:57   #4 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

the 335 and 336 are egr codes and should be fixed with the replacement of a dpfe sensor. the egr is up stream in the exhaust system from the cats so that it can recycle exhaust gas that may still have unburnt fuel back into the cylinders so it can be reignited.

if it was related to the cat being gutted then the codes would be oxygen sensor related. none of your codes are oxi related soo.... this is not your problem.
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:36   #5 (permalink)

I'll try changing the sensor this weekend and post an update.Thanks for the help mre_power,I don't know what I would do without this site,Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2007, 17:33   #6 (permalink)

well,I went to several auto part stores and of course they were all different prices but I found 1 at $70.00.Ford was the most expensive(surprise)at $125.00.Unfortunatly,no one had 1 in stock so I had to oder 1 and should be in on wednesday.I'll update thursday.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:35   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Codes!codes!codes!

(i cannot find out what 213 is except SPOUT circuit open.)
Spout open means your spark output circuit is open. What the cicuit is is two wires normally shorted together which allows the TFI module and the PCM to adjust timing normally. When this circuit is open, the TFI places the ignition in a base fixed timing of 10* before TDC to adjust the distributor or the idle speed. This is accomplished by removing the spout connector by the distributor. It is sometimes partially hidden with electrical tape. There is a rough illustration of the connector on the emissions control label. If the connector is properly plugged in and you have this code then either the spout connector is open or you have a wiring fault. By the way, your EGR system is a PFE type, where only one hose goes to the pressure sensor, rather than two on a DPFE system.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 16:46   #8 (permalink)

Yeah,for code 213 I found something,The previous owner did some kind of bypass or something,when the weather gets better I'll have a closer look to see what he did.The part I ordered is this...
Thanks for the info,always welcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636
(i cannot find out what 213 is except SPOUT circuit open.)
Spout open means your spark output circuit is open. What the cicuit is is two wires normally shorted together which allows the TFI module and the PCM to adjust timing normally. When this circuit is open, the TFI places the ignition in a base fixed timing of 10* before TDC to adjust the distributor or the idle speed. This is accomplished by removing the spout connector by the distributor. It is sometimes partially hidden with electrical tape. There is a rough illustration of the connector on the emissions control label. If the connector is properly plugged in and you have this code then either the spout connector is open or you have a wiring fault. By the way, your EGR system is a PFE type, where only one hose goes to the pressure sensor, rather than two on a DPFE system.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:28   #9 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Codes!codes!codes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremetec
Yeah,for code 213 I found something,The previous owner did some kind of bypass or something,when the weather gets better I'll have a closer look to see what he did.The part I ordered is this...
Thanks for the info,always welcomed.
That's the right sensor!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 17:40   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636
That's the right sensor!!!
Nope,its the wrong sensor!I went to pick up my part and it turns out that there was 2 different versions.This was the one I ordered(VP6)

But this is the one I needed(VP4)...as you can see,the nipple is bigger on the second photo and the price is bigger too($106.00 cost price.)

and as usual,no one has it in stock,so I have to wait again,I'll update when I get the part."Shit happends"
(I hope I get it soon,the price of gas just went up again,figures)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007

Related Reading: Codes!codes!codes!