codes p0171 p0174. Rough Idle / engine light on - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 18:04   #1 (permalink)

codes p0171 p0174. Rough Idle / engine light on

Hey guys!! I just need a little help with this codes. I changed the battery on my taurus 2000 duratec 24v, and after a few hours the car started to hesitate at idle and the engine light came on. I pulled out the codes and I happen to have a lean condition on BANK 1 and 2. (p0171/p0174). My point is, I already let the engine re-learn (by disconnecting battery) for a considerable amount of time and it has not done any good!! so I guess it might have something to do with MAF sensor or EGR valve!!! What do you guys think!! Any help on this matter would be really appreciated!

Thank you!
jgflores100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 11:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: codes p0171 p0174. Rough Idle / engine light on

Maybe you have developed an intake leak (lean). I use brake clean (or anything flammable) and spray it at the intake manifold and hoses connected to it. If the engine changes idle you have an intake leak. BTW: Keep a bucket of water handy:)
Cuda_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 13:25   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked for intake leaks or bad hoses and I did found a hose that was disconnected, in addition to that I cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body but the car is still with the engine light on and running very rough at iddle. the rpms go from 700 to 400 or 350 as if the engine was going to shut off and then goes up again to normal which is more or less 800rpms, and it repeats again.......what could it be causing this problem does it have something to do with sensors like IDLE SPEED SENSORS????
jgflores100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 13:36   #4 (permalink)

Disconnect MAF sensor and start engine to see if rolling idle goes away. From what you are explaining it has a major vacuum leak to cause those rolling idle concerns.
makuloco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:25   #5 (permalink)

I had that problem with mine, there is a rubber elbo that is connected to the opposite end of the hard plastic tube (PCV valve breather tube) would be mounted into the engine, its very hard to see, its right under the plastic intake tubing right by the throttle cable, directly beind that but underneath, they are notorious to have a small split in it, again I thought mine was fine until I wedged a screw driver back there and noticed indeed it was split and need to replace the entire thing, its $20 from Ford, my car is also a 2000 Duratec
Craig Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:48   #6 (permalink)

Here's a picture, the green rod is touching the rubber elbo, although you cannot see it, its right beind the EGR valve you see in picture, if that was removed you would see it, again like I said its very hard to see but this will give you the gemeral area I am talking about, you can reach from beind to replace it, its touch to get your fingers back there without pulling stuff off but the factory ford part comes with a special kind of clamp thats like a quick release so it can be done, I dont know if this is whats wrong with your car but its definatly worth a good look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_1736.jpg (112.6 KB, 376 views)
Old 06-13-2007, 08:52   #7 (permalink)

If thats whats wrong with it, the part number is marked on the plastic part of the tube thats visable
Old 06-21-2007, 05:43   #8 (permalink)
fordmech

Hi guys
It's very common for the PCV vacuum hose to collapse in these engines, but from what I've seen, the idle will stay very high (above 1000 rpm) due to the vacuum leak and not hunting up and down in the way you describe.
If you have EGR related codes and the engine light is on, there's an air by-pass duct inside the throttle body that goes to the EGR valve and carbon deposits bulid up in there AND also inside the idle control solenoid causing symptoms very similar to the ones you describe. You'll need to remove the throttle body to clean this up properly. It's a very common problem when you use low octane fuel very often, specially with the crappy fuels we have down here. Anyways, hope this helps. cheers
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 19:57   #9 (permalink)

I too have these codes plus the p1131/p1151 codes. 99 taurus with 24v duratec engine. This all started about 3 months after dealer replaced plugs,wires and fuel filter. I changed the IAC but no help. It also revs to 3500rpm then when at a stopsign it may drop to 400-500rpm or it may continue to rev like crazy.
paratrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 14:48   #10 (permalink)

Para Did you ever find answer to this?
agovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007