cracked a head - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 00:13   #1 (permalink)

cracked a head

fiance has a 97 taurus with the vulcan. i was driving her home one day going about 80 when the air from the vent started to smell really bad.. like burning oil and coolant. i went to pass a slow car and there was an immediate loss of power after i tried to accelerate hard. then i noticed the temp gauge was pegged. pulled over and checked the engine... there was steam coming from behind the rear head. towed it home, got it to turn over but it wouldnt start. it was obvious the head gasket was blown. tore the engine down and to my surprise, a chunk of the exaust valve on #2 was gone. so i took the head into a machine shop to see if it was salvageable. next day i get a call that theres a 3 inch long crack next to #3. the guy worked for ford for 14 years and said hes never seen a crack that big on a ford head. just to be cautios i brought in the other head just to get it checked and luckily it was fine. replaced the cracked head and the valves for it and got a 3 angle job for both heads. now im in the process of rebuilding. this is my first time repairing something this major so wish me luck.
lordtara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 09:37   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: cracked a head

Good luck!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:11   #3 (permalink)

Re: cracked a head

Heres the number 2 exhaust valve. Ill get a pic of the cracked head eventually. (sorry bout the quality, my cam is a POS)

Old 10-27-2006, 17:57   #4 (permalink)

How did it come out? Is it running ok? Whats the update?

Bert
kb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 21:17   #5 (permalink)

im almost done reassembling it. this last little bit is taking a while cause ive been preparing for my wedding this weekend and i can only work on it on my days off and if i dont have to drive my fiance around.

shes been without a car since easter. i was gonna just get her a new one, but shes attached to her taurus and refused my offer. she cant even move in till its fixed.

fun times. and theres no guarantee that its gonna run when im finished.

btw, the dealer had no idea what i was talking about when i went to purchase the coolant bypass kit thats mentioned in a TSB.
Old 11-12-2006, 14:22   #6 (permalink)

well its running. as soon as i put it back together and put fluids in, i turned the key and its started right up. there was a leak coming from the thermostat housing. i thought i might have not tightened it enough, so i tightened it some more till it split in half. so i went to pick your part and got a new housing and purchased a new gasket. i made sure the thermostat was seated properly this time.

so yeah... it runs fine now, and my wife is ecstatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007