Curious noise 2001 Taurus - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 18:40   #1 (permalink)

Curious noise 2001 Taurus

So this morning on my way to work the old tortoise started making a weird squeaking noise. It kinda sounded like a serp belt, but its coming from the intake manifold/throttle body area. The frequency of the noise is dependent on RPMs.
I had a new belt laying around so I threw it on just to make sure it wasn't something simple, no luck. I read around about opening the oil dipstick/oil filler to possibly diagnose a PCV problem, but it didn't help and I dont know too much about it. Any ideas? No obvious oil burnage or error codes...
Rockiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 20:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: Curious noise 2001 Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockiholic View Post
So this morning on my way to work the old tortoise started making a weird squeaking noise. It kinda sounded like a serp belt, but its coming from the intake manifold/throttle body area. The frequency of the noise is dependent on RPMs.
I had a new belt laying around so I threw it on just to make sure it wasn't something simple, no luck. I read around about opening the oil dipstick/oil filler to possibly diagnose a PCV problem, but it didn't help and I dont know too much about it. Any ideas? No obvious oil burnage or error codes...

Hello and good day:

Have you check your Vacuum Lines??
Old 06-23-2009, 20:33   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

If it's like a chirping noise, read this post.

2002 taurus chirping in engine vulcan v6
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:20   #4 (permalink)

Ok, so I was doing some investigating, and it seems like my problem is very similar to the thread that you referred me to. My problem is, I cant find anything in my Chiltons that relates to a cam syncronizer. I found something similar, a Camshaft position sensor, but I was hoping to get some more specifics before I run out and buy a new assembly.
What in this assembly commonly goes out? I dont think I need a sensor, as I dont have any error codes. I'd assume that I have some moving parts that need replacement, does that mean the whole assembly or a smaller part? Thanks for the advice, I think I'm starting to get track down the elusive squeak...
Old 06-25-2009, 12:09   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

The cam position sensor is separate. It sits on top of the Camshaft Synchronizer which is basically 'like' a distributor. The main reason this part will fail is lack of oil to the CS bearings.

The sensor is the black part on the photo below.
Old 06-25-2009, 23:14   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
The main reason this part will fail is lack of oil to the CS bearings.
I'm going out to find a new assembly tomorrow (probably Napa, $40 or so), but I'm assuming that the oil delivery problem is due to something contained within the part I'm replacing and not an oil pump or something in the block/crank, etc.
The only reason I ask is because I'd rather not take it to a shop right away and I don't want this to become a new parts, high dollar black-hole
Old 06-26-2009, 16:42   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

No it won't be a oil pump problem, just simply worn bearings in the synchronizer.

BUT, Be sure to verify that's the problem before tearing it apart. I'm sure you saw the location of the assembly in the other post, if you will start your engine and get your hand down there while it's making that noise, you can feel it scraping while grabbing it.
Old 07-01-2009, 13:13   #8 (permalink)

So after digging around the engine a little more I decided to replace the cam sync. That has seemed to solve the problem. I wasn't 100% sure how to lube the new part so I basically dunked the bottom half in fresh oil and spun the vane a few times.

JWKO- Thanks for all the advice, that has seemed to solve the problem.
Old 07-01-2009, 13:57   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Your Welcome
Old 07-17-2009, 07:48   #10 (permalink)

Does anyone have insturctions on Camshaft Synchronizer replacement for 2005 Taurus?

Thanks,
Tony
tonyntip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007