Ford Forums banner

Curious noise 2001 Taurus

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jwko 
#1 ·
So this morning on my way to work the old tortoise started making a weird squeaking noise. It kinda sounded like a serp belt, but its coming from the intake manifold/throttle body area. The frequency of the noise is dependent on RPMs.
I had a new belt laying around so I threw it on just to make sure it wasn't something simple, no luck. I read around about opening the oil dipstick/oil filler to possibly diagnose a PCV problem, but it didn't help and I dont know too much about it. Any ideas? No obvious oil burnage or error codes...

#4 ·
Ok, so I was doing some investigating, and it seems like my problem is very similar to the thread that you referred me to. My problem is, I cant find anything in my Chiltons that relates to a cam syncronizer. I found something similar, a Camshaft position sensor, but I was hoping to get some more specifics before I run out and buy a new assembly.
What in this assembly commonly goes out? I dont think I need a sensor, as I dont have any error codes. I'd assume that I have some moving parts that need replacement, does that mean the whole assembly or a smaller part? Thanks for the advice, I think I'm starting to get track down the elusive squeak...

#5 ·
The cam position sensor is separate. It sits on top of the Camshaft Synchronizer which is basically 'like' a distributor. The main reason this part will fail is lack of oil to the CS bearings.

The sensor is the black part on the photo below.

#6 ·
The main reason this part will fail is lack of oil to the CS bearings.
I'm going out to find a new assembly tomorrow (probably Napa, $40 or so), but I'm assuming that the oil delivery problem is due to something contained within the part I'm replacing and not an oil pump or something in the block/crank, etc.
The only reason I ask is because I'd rather not take it to a shop right away and I don't want this to become a new parts, high dollar black-hole

#7 ·
No it won't be a oil pump problem, just simply worn bearings in the synchronizer.

BUT, Be sure to verify that's the problem before tearing it apart. I'm sure you saw the location of the assembly in the other post, if you will start your engine and get your hand down there while it's making that noise, you can feel it scraping while grabbing it.

#8 ·
So after digging around the engine a little more I decided to replace the cam sync. That has seemed to solve the problem. I wasn't 100% sure how to lube the new part so I basically dunked the bottom half in fresh oil and spun the vane a few times.

JWKO- Thanks for all the advice, that has seemed to solve the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.