dead when you try to start then its ok - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2006, 22:34   #1 (permalink)

frown dead when you try to start then its ok

you try to start the car and its like dead dead dead, you turn the key a few times and its fine for days or weeks at a time. i changed the starter three times, the battery wires, the neutral start switch. i changed a bad rear brake socket and some bulbs. today it was fine but yesterday it did the dead mans thing a few times and stalled once. help i love my 97 ford taurus with its six cylender motor. car has 160,000 original miles by me. help.
rlevy64614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2006, 08:15   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: dead when you try to start then its ok

You could have an intermittant "Door Ajar" switch going bad turning on your dome lights and killing the battery.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 23:26   #3 (permalink)

nope thats not it i tried that and its not that..
Old 08-31-2006, 05:36   #4 (permalink)

I know you said you changed the starter multiple times but it sounds like the starter might have a dead spot. Did you get a new starter or a remanufactured one? If you bought it from a place like AutoZone, Advance, etc, its probably remanufactured and that could be your problem.
Old 08-31-2006, 18:57   #5 (permalink)
Ford man since 1980-27yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy64614
you try to start the car and its like dead dead dead, you turn the key a few times and its fine for days or weeks at a time. i changed the starter three times, the battery wires, the neutral start switch. i changed a bad rear brake socket and some bulbs. today it was fine but yesterday it did the dead mans thing a few times and stalled once. help i love my 97 ford taurus with its six cylender motor. car has 160,000 original miles by me. help.
Wow,this is wild!I just had that same problem yesterday and got it fixed!On mine,the battery light was on too.I brought it to my mechanic and he found that a wire on the alternator had abit of rust making a bad contact(said it was common)he cleaned it and said have a nice day.I've driven yesterday and today and no problems thus far.
extremetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 18:58   #6 (permalink)

after three starters, neutral switch, battery cables, my nine year old suggested i turn the ford alarm off by hitting the red lite button on the steering colum. now its fine. jeez.
Old 08-31-2006, 18:59   #7 (permalink)

so far its working but i think there is a greater problem somewhere, ford had it for three weeks and found nothing. its working now but i hope it does not come back. im leaving the alarm off...
Old 08-31-2006, 19:09   #8 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Aftermarket alarm installed?They probably did a hack job like most of the ones I have seen.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 23:18   #9 (permalink)

no it was a ford factory alarm with ford remote. so far its been a couple of days and no signs of trouble. if it comes back im junking it. ive replaced the motor, transmission , alternator, starter, heater core, as well as other components. its no wonder ford is about to go belly up as it loses sales to jap car makers. my subaru with 120 thousand miles never gave me a day of trouble aside from brakes. i think the start thing will come back.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:14   #10 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: dead when you try to start then its ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy64614
after three starters, neutral switch, battery cables, my nine year old suggested i turn the ford alarm off by hitting the red lite button on the steering colum. now its fine. jeez.
Ford did make an add-on type alarm made an aftermarket company for many years. The factory installed alarm does not have a switch on the steering column. The Secure-Lock system used coded keys to prevent starter operation if the key was not programmed. You would have no cranking at all. The "THEFT" light on the instrument cluster under the temp gauge cold mark would be on solid. The other factory installed system was the perimeter system tha t just monitored door ajar and lock cylinder tamper swithces and would not affect starting at all. Hope this helps you.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007