Does this battery need to be replaced? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 18:59   #1 (permalink)

Does this battery need to be replaced?

It happened two times in the last week that the battery was out of power, and I had to use jumper to start the car. Does this battery need to be replaced? By the way, the weather became cold at last weekend.

Thank you in advance!
peteryjg2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 19:03   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Does this battery need to be replaced?

If the alternator is charging I'd say replace the battery
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:34   #3 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Assuming there is not some excessive parasitic current draw when the car is sitting turned off and the alternator is good yes the battery is bad. But I would not just change it out.

You need to test the alternator/battery voltage and test the current draw after the car has set for an hour or so. The current draw should be less than 50mA. The battery voltage when the car is running with as many electrical loads that you can apply and at 1500 rpms should be over 14 volts.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:36   #4 (permalink)

Thank you guys. I will check them ant report the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123 View Post
Assuming there is not some excessive parasitic current draw when the car is sitting turned off and the alternator is good yes the battery is bad. But I would not just change it out.

You need to test the alternator/battery voltage and test the current draw after the car has set for an hour or so. The current draw should be less than 50mA. The battery voltage when the car is running with as many electrical loads that you can apply and at 1500 rpms should be over 14 volts.
peteryjg2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:41   #5 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

If you check the current draw the meter has to be connected and them let the car sit for a hour so all the modules time out and go to "sleep".

It's also informative to check the voltage of the battery after you have shut off the car for 15 minutes and then again after the car has set for 8 hours or so.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:07   #6 (permalink)

My car would not start if I don't use it for 2-3 days then I give it a boost and it will start everytime. Usually on Mondays after the car have been sitting for the whole week-end it will not start. I took the battery to charge and they told me at Autozone that the battery was good. I had this battery for 3 years and it is guaranteed for 6 years. I think i have a small drain. Can anyone tell me how do I go about finding if I have a drain in my battery. How do I measure this small drain and where should I check for battery drain. Any help would be appreciated.
barbaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:40   #7 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Use an amp meter between the negative cable and the negative post on the battery. Then start pulling fuses. 50mA is the normal draw after all the modules have timed out (about 5-15 minutes).
Old 12-30-2008, 14:26   #8 (permalink)

Thank you for your response. If I understand you correctly... after I connect the ampmeter between the negative battery cable and the negative batery post, the current should be less than 50mA. What do I do if it is higher?.... Do I then pull fuses or one at a time?... If I find the fuse that is carrying a higher than 50 mA current, then what do I do? How do I fix it. How do I use the ampmeter to diagnose the circuit?

I will appreciate if you could take me through the diagnostic steps. It is the first time I am attempting to do this.
barbaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 18:48   #9 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Does this battery need to be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaro1 View Post
Thank you for your response. If I understand you correctly... after I connect the ampmeter between the negative battery cable and the negative batery post, the current should be less than 50mA. What do I do if it is higher?.... Do I then pull fuses or one at a time?... If I find the fuse that is carrying a higher than 50 mA current, then what do I do? How do I fix it. How do I use the ampmeter to diagnose the circuit?

I will appreciate if you could take me through the diagnostic steps. It is the first time I am attempting to do this.
See my reply in your own thread.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007