Driver Door Power Lock Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28   #1 (permalink)

Driver Door Power Lock Problem

Hello Guys: 2000 SE Taurus Wagon 3.0L Duratec...

My wife informed me today that the Driver Door Power Lock will not fully go down when she uses the power lock fob, or when she places it into Drive...

I checked it out...and sure enough it will only go half way down.

When you use the Remote...all locks will lock, and arm the Alarm..but the Drivers Door will not fully lock.

When you put it into Drive..all locks will lock, except the Drivers door...

What do you guys think?? I know I will have to pull the Panel, and check it out. But what would cause it not to fully go down?? Servo??

Any Help and Advice will be grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 09:43   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Driver Door Power Lock Problem

On other cars we had in workshop with that problem a spray with WD40
on linkage / actuator inside door usually worked wonders , worth trying .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26   #3 (permalink)

When you use WD 40, and you shouldn't, Put a small amount of lubricant on all linkage
and make sure to wipe off ALL excess. Any other door but the drivers i'd believe because
that door is always used more than the other. You will not wipe away all the oil that you put on but it will help to slow down the dust and dirt that will collect and jam up things
real good. Also look for worn and binding parts.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:29   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Could also be the actuator
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:38   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

I would put my money on the actuator. Wait too long and sooner or later it may lock and get jammed in the lock position, then it will really be a PITA and not a likely DIY for most people. If you use WD40 or penetrating oil, and it works, follow up with a quality lube.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 19:24   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Guy's:

Just got off work...And will pull the panel off tomorrow...Will start with the WD40, then look at that actuator ... I'm leaning towards that...It just seems to be my luck...LOL..
Old 02-15-2011, 09:28   #7 (permalink)

U may not have to pull panel , if on the hinge side of door if there is a some what flat bar that goes threw the door with a rubber boot around it, slide back to have access to inside door squirt a really good penetrating spray threwthe opening( P-B blast or equil spray) up in there while operating switch. Work on many of the Fords I've done, ford no's all about it. I've done quite a few f-150 /f-350 p/ up trucks,if it gets any water past the seal on window or live near salt water or pressure wash it alot that when I see alot of that, does not mean switch, relay still could b going bad. Good luck.
ynoT
Tony m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:49   #8 (permalink)

I recently replaced two of the lock actuators on my wife's 2000 Taurus POS because it had the exact same problem. Spraying lubricant won't do any good unless it's the linkage that is binding up, which is unlikely. They cost between $40-$60 at the auto part stores. I bought two from a junkyard for $4.00 each and they work just fine.
sec-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 20:55   #9 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Driver Door Power Lock Problem

Ric, when I had my 2001 Taurus it did the same thing. I would lock it with the door lock button and it would work. I'd lock it with the key fob and it wouldn't work half the time. Lock actuator on it's way out. The correct way to do it on the front doors is remove the latch and then remove the actuator by lifting the tab and sliding it off. The last time I did one however I left the latch in, and using a cotter pin puller pick and lifted the tab an slid the actuator off. Getting the new one on was a challenge, especially when it's getting dark out with no flashlight!!! You just have to line up the actuator on the latch and snap it on. Definetely don't waste your time with used actuators. Get a new one.

The rear latches are much easier to get out to swap the actuators, you don't have to disconnect all of the cables to the latch either. They are flexible enough to swing the latch out.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007