Originally Posted by Schleprock
Hello to all and thanks for any advice you might offer.
1. At what mileage should one change the drum brakes on a 2000 Ford Taurus?
This car has 142,000 miles and to my knowledge they have never been changed.
2. What brand do you recommend for new drums besides the oem?
3. Is there a better brand one can recommend for tie rods?
I have replaced a left inner and a right outer tie rod and I am not doing the 24 hours of Lemans or the Baja 500 but yet I have replaced them with minimum mileage at the Ford dealership.
1. This varies, between 44,000 and 50,000 miles, definetely check the Wheel cylinders, they must be siezing up by now...
2. I've had good luck with any aftermarket drums I've ever used, Autozone was the last place I bought them from and they were great.
3. Well... I actually wouldn't recommend MOOG, their outer tie rods are pretty flimsy lately, and when they wear out, they fall apart very easily. The stock ones seem to stay together allot longer when worn. MOOG's inner tie rods are actually very good. What mileage are you replacing these at??? Got allot of potholes???