Electrical issues w/ 98 Taurus
Hey guys, first time posting but i've been reading for a while now. I've had some issues with my 98 Taurus recently, and i'm hoping someone has encountered these before. The problems seem to be intermittent, which is the worst part, but i'll try to explain them the best I can.
This morning when getting into my car, I noticed the clock had reset itself, and my radio was set to AM 1700, rather than the FM station it was on when I shut the car off. This happened last year around the same time, and I had the car in the shop. I had replaced the battery, but it was having the same issues after replacing the battery within a week. So the shop hooked up a meter to the car, and said the radio was spiking randomly, and causing draw on the battery. The old radio had a tape stuck in the deck and it wouldn't eject, so it seemed to make sense the radio went bad. The mechanic replaced the radio, and it seemed to work well. No more issues, or so I thought.
Well about 4 months after that, it started happening again. Still intermittent, but this time I started noticing something interesting. About a month before the problem occured again, I noticed my 'theft' light on the dash would come on, when I started the car up. It will come on, and blink for a solid minute or so, then go off. Now when the battery gets fully drained and I attempt to turn the key, I sometimes hear a rapid clicking from the dash column for a few seconds, then it goes away. I can pop the hood, wiggle the battery cables, and the car will start right back up. I've cleaned the cables/terminals multiple times. This issue only happened a few times, and seems to have stopped since I replaced the battery the last time. However, I still seem to have something causing a draw on the battery. I've even gotten to the point where I turn the radio completely off when I park the car, however I still get the same blinking 'theft' light when I start it up, and at random times the clock and radio will be reset.
I read on here that it was thought to be a door sensor which was triggering a draw during heavy frost, but we've only had maybe 1 frost here so far this fall, so i'm a little skeptical that is the problem. Any information or help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!