Electrics problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 12:55   #1 (permalink)

confused Electrics problems

I have a 1996 Ford Taurus GL Wagon with 90K on the clock. Recently my radio started cutting out while I was driving (display still on but no sound) and now this is being followed by my fasten seatbelt sign flashing about 5 times accompanied by a clicking noise (sounds like its coming from below the steering column), followed by loss of power steering and loss of function and illumination of power window and door buttons and failure of full beam headlight sign to light. This radio seems to fail after about 10 mins of driving whereas the rest occur sporadically but usually after at least 20 mins of driving. The power steering comes back on some time later. The radio comes back on if I change gears into park or neutral.

Has anyone encountered this before or have any ideas or suggestions on what could be causing this and how to fix it? I would really appreciate your help.

Karen
bsp3ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2003, 11:13   #2 (permalink)
stephnever

frown 96 Taurus Electrical Problems

OMG! I was searching the internet because the EXACT same thing started happening to my 1996 Taurus GL the other day. Previous to this problem my gas guage started working only intermittently, and I have always been convinced that it was a wiring problem. Now this, and I have heard that wiring/electrical problems are the most expensive to fix. I checked interior fuses earlier today, but nothing. If ANYONE has a clue what this problem is PLEASE email me. If I can fix this myself it would be awesome. I am unable to spend a lot of money right now.

Thanks,

Stephanie
stephnever@yahoo.com
Old 09-17-2003, 14:25   #3 (permalink)

Smile Re: electrics problems

I ended up taking my taurus to a garage after trying many things to detect a wiring / fuse problem. They identified the transmission range sensor as being at fault, this left an open circuit causing all the other problems. I don't know if it is possible to check and replace this yourself but maybe other people on the site will be able to help with that. Touch wood, since it has been replaced I have had no further problems.
bsp3ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007