engine replaced 98 3.0 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 17:52   #1 (permalink)

engine replaced 98 3.0

I replaced engine in my 98 Taurus have everything completed/connected engine will not start no fuel/no spark help what can I check
Doc Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 18:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: engine replaced 98 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Edison View Post
I replaced engine in my 98 Taurus have everything completed/connected engine will not start no fuel/no spark help what can I check

Hello and good day:

Are you sure you have checked everything??...all of the Connectors??

Do you have a Anti-Thief system on this vehicle?? Your PCM may be telling your car you are trying to Steal it, and it is shutting down. Does your Anti- Thief lite Blink like crazy when you turn the Key??
Old 03-26-2009, 09:08   #3 (permalink)

What engine did your replace it with ? Was it the same ? did you get the computer with
the replacement engine ? Re read Sterling six's post. You have missed something.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 17:03   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for replies guys. New engine was out of 99. No I Did Not get computer with it. Can computer be programed or am I screwed? Has factory anti-theft have to check it out.
Old 03-26-2009, 17:58   #5 (permalink)

They say 98 - 99 computers should work. notice the magic word " should ". Yes the
E.C.M. can be reflashed but i dought it goes from year to year. Valuable lesson learned.
NEVER replace an engine without getting the computer that belongs to it. In some cases
you also need the wiring harness. Some of those computers are one year only. I can find out tomorrow if you want. If you have no spark and no ignition it could be the anti theft
system but they usually also shut down the starter too. when you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump ? The computer turns on the pump for one second before a start
Old 03-26-2009, 22:37   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: engine replaced 98 3.0

Quote:
No fuel pressure or no fuel injector operation???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post

Hello and good day:

Are you sure you have checked everything??...all of the Connectors??

Do you have a Anti-Thief system on this vehicle?? Your PCM may be telling your car you are trying to Steal it, and it is shutting down. Does your Anti- Thief lite Blink like crazy when you turn the Key??
You'd have no crank if the Secure-Lock system had an issue. Make sure you cam and crank sensors are plugged in, if a 3.0L Vulcan make sure the crank sensor tone wheel on the balance is the same number of teeth as the old engine.
Quote:
Thanks for replies guys. New engine was out of 99. No I Did Not get computer with it. Can computer be programed or am I screwed? Has factory anti-theft have to check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
They say 98 - 99 computers should work. notice the magic word " should ". Yes the
E.C.M. can be reflashed but i doubt it goes from year to year. Valuable lesson learned.
NEVER replace an engine without getting the computer that belongs to it. In some cases
you also need the wiring harness. Some of those computers are one year only. I can find out tomorrow if you want. If you have no spark and no ignition it could be the anti theft
system but they usually also shut down the starter too. when you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump ? The computer turns on the pump for one second before a start
This I'll have to disagree with you on. The PCM's nowadays are programmed with the VIN. Sooo... depending on your state inspection program you could flunk for a VIN mismatch. and if you have the SecureLock chip key system, switching PCM's will not help you at all. Here's why:

The PATS uses the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to enable or disable the engine. The PATS module communicates with the PCM over the J1850 network in order to enable engine operation. The PATS module and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to deter a theft. The PATS and the PCM share security data when first installed together that makes them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The PATS shared security ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The PATS module also stores the vehicle's key identification code even if the battery is disconnected. There are special diagnostic procedures that may be performed if either the PATS module or the PCM needs replacement.

When doing an engine swap between years, look at all of the sensors and switches, the manifolds and other accessories. If they look exactly the same then it is mainly a direct swap. You should at least swap over the engine wiring from the old engine to be safe, transfer anything from the old that doesn't match on the donor engine.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:31   #7 (permalink)

Well Doc, Looks like you could be in for some fun. 97 - 98 ecm are the same. Mid year on
99 they changed. You have to find your probuction date on the 99 and get it's computer
IF the production date is the date of the change. IF you do have a computer issue
it looks like you have the new production date change up on the 99 engine and the old
98 computer. Bottom line it won't work IF this is your problem. I got this info form Ford.
Argue with them. B.T.W. that computer also controls the transmission. Almost all do.
Old 03-27-2009, 19:24   #8 (permalink)

Thanks again eveyone. Although a little discouraging your help is valuable and greatly appreciated. I will look into these issues and let you know.
Old 03-28-2009, 20:44   #9 (permalink)

OK, I do not doubt there could be a computer issue but I have some questions. Suppose this engine swap used a brand new, out of the box long block? What specifically is there in the engine that is unique to the computer? Heck, Ford has manufactured millions and millions of those things. They would have a documentation nightmare if the coding was unique to each engine.

I know from experience that most of these engines will at least run, maybe not well but run even if many of the sensors are missing.

There are very knowledgeable folks here who might shoot my comments down, but that is OK. That is what the discussion boards are for.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007