Finally fixed my @#$%^&* HEATER!! I hope! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 18:18   #1 (permalink)

Finally fixed my @#$%^&* HEATER!! I hope!

Yes, I had the same lack of heat problems that others suffer, today I hope I put an end to it. OH--- the car is a 99 Taurus. So far, I have reversed flushed the heater core about 6 times over the last year. After every time I get great heat, lasts for about a week then the dreaded cold air starts all over again.

Today, I purged the entire system. What got me started was the brown goook in the radiator reservoir. The goook comes from the casting process (so I am told). It is remnents of the casting sand that didn't get cleaned out when the engines were manufactured. Stuff is as close to baby poop as one can imagine.

OK, this is how I did it in case others want replicate my work with their cars. First, I crawled under the front bumper and removed the plastic shield under the radiator. This was necessary because one cannot get at the radiator drain with the plastic shield in place. The drain is located on the driver's side at the radiator bottom. I drained the radiator.

Next, connected my garden hose and stuck it into the radiator reservoir to keep it filled while the bottom of the radiator purged the junk in the system. The engine ran during this time. The stuff coming out did not look that bad............. don't be misled! After getting all the antifreeze out and any junk that wanted to flow, I closed the drain, poured in a container of Prestone Radiator Flush.

I ran the engine for about 20 minutes with this stuff in it. Let it cool down, opened the radiator drain and the stuff looked brown! again connected the hose, restarted the engine and let the stuff continue draining for at least 1/2 hour. I did not stop until the color of the stuff coming out the drain was clear or at least almost clear. Closed the drain, filled the radiator with water, ran the engine to temperature and ..........NO HEAT! Shut the thing down again, let cool to avoid burning myself. Next I removed the hose from the engine (drivers side) that goes to the heater core. This is the heater feed hose. Removed the return on the passenger's side, the return goes back to the water pump.

Next I have a short hose with a femal connector on one end to screw into my garden hose. The other end is just cut off. I think this is a 5/8" hose. I connected that to the pipe I removed the heater return hose from. Next went to the basement and turned the water on to the hose. This procedure forces water backwards through the heater core. Let this reverse flushing run for a couple of minutes, shut things down, reconnect the heater hoses, filled the radiator reservoir with water, started the engine, let it come up to temperature, turned the heater on and WOW!!!! The car has never had so much heat! OH-- I redrained the radiator to add antifreeze and then buttoned up everything I removed to get at the drain.

OK,OK--- maybe my problem will return. If it does, I intend to re-flush the radiator and again reverse flush the heater core. Because I got so much brown goop out of the radiator, I have a feeling this time will be the last time I lack decent heat.

I took the time to detail everything here because I know there are others who are facing similar problems. I hope sharing my experience will provide insight for them to fix their heating problems,

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 13:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: Finally fixed my @#$%^&* HEATER!! I hope!

Wow Good going....Im going to file this procedure, and use it.

Thanks 6
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 14:34   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post

Wow Good going....Im going to file this procedure, and use it.

Thanks 6
But it does take time to complete. I spent several hours at least on the thing. But again, I now have to lower the heat or it gets uncomfortably HOT.

If by chance the heater gives me future problems, I intend to repeat the procedure to get any remaining "brown poop" out of the system. I will also post here if I do have problems. So far---

Foggy
Old 12-13-2008, 11:05   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Finally fixed my @#$%^&* HEATER!! I hope!

Thanks going to do this now...
its 30 degrees out today,
but yesterday 7 the whole day, froze my toes.

Thanks and lucky for people caring....

informations awesome when we share..
sky2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:46   #5 (permalink)

Flushed 3 times,
heats when its +30 degrees,
its -7 right now and cold heat...

im going to chage out the heater core.. as its winter here in Minn...lol
has new thermostat fresh antifreeze and flow.. its heatercore or pump...not fun..

by the way whats the purple stuff at wally world?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:59   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky2k4 View Post
Flushed 3 times,
heats when its +30 degrees,
its -7 right now and cold heat...

im going to chage out the heater core.. as its winter here in Minn...lol
has new thermostat fresh antifreeze and flow.. its heatercore or pump...not fun..

by the way whats the purple stuff at wally world?

Is there brown poop in the radiator reservoir or did you manage to rid the system of it? If you still have the stuff, a new core could soon become contaminated.

Did you remove the two hoses to the heater and back flush the heater core? The hose that feeds the heater core enters the engine on the driver's side from what I think is the cylinder head. The other hose is on the passenger's side. To back flush, connect your garden hose to the pipe from which you removed the heater hose from on the passenger's side. Remove the hose from the driver's side that feeds the heater core. Turn the water on and let it flush for a couple of minutes.

A new core is the best option but it requires more work and more money and as I mentioned above, can be at risk if there is any brown poop left in your system.

Purple stuff---I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU USE THIS STUFF FOR YOUR RADIATOR!!! I took a piece of 6066 grade aluminum and put a small puddle of the PUrple Stuff onto it. After a couple of hours one could see how it was reacting with the aluminum. The stuff etched the aluminum. The stuff comes in a purple bottle at Walmart

Good luck--

Foggy
Old 12-15-2008, 10:08   #7 (permalink)

OK..
Just cycled the cleaning process. i have a 97 t single ohc , i used prestone cleaner, folowed the directions, rinsed with car running and got some heat but was above 30 degrees, now its 7 below zero and blows luke warm air,

does anyone have pics?
i cant use a hose because of tempeture,

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007