I have a 97 Sable, and like many others I have seen, the dash has seperated from the instrument panel bezel. I searched for this but found nothing similar. Anyone else fixed this themselves or had it fixed?
If you mean the pad seperating from the panel then there is a fix for it. Ford TSB 00-20-3.
INSTRUMENT PANEL - SEPARATION OF UPPER AND
LOWER LAYERS - REPAIR TIPS
This article is being republished in its entirety to update the contact phone numbers.
Some vehicles may experience a separation between layers of the instrument panel. This is most commonly seen over the instrument cluster. The instrument panel may appear to be raised in this area.
Adhere the upper layer to the lower layer using Loctite 410 Black Max, available in 3 gram tube (part number 41004) or 20 gram bottle (part number 41045). Obtain Loctite supplies locally. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
NOTE LOCTITE BLACK MAX HAS A SHELF LIFE OF 3 MONTHS WHEN STORED AT ROOM TEMPERATURE. TO PROLONG SHELF LIFE UP TO 12 MONTHS, REFRIGERATE UNUSED PRODUCT AT 4°C (40 °F). TO DETERMINE WHEN THE PRODUCT WAS MANUFACTURED, LOOK AT THE FIRST TWO CHARACTERS OF THE LOT CODE ON THE CONTAINER. SAMPLE LOT CODE 4HP303A2:
^ 4 = last digit in year of manufacture
^ H = month within year of manufacture (A = January, B = February, etc.)
^ P = Packager location code
^ 303A2 = Batch number (can be three to five characters)
NOTE LOCTITE BLACK MAX MAY BE OBTAINED IN THE UNITED STATES BY CALLING PERMATEX: 1-877-376-2839 (8am-5pm EST) OR FAX PERMATEX AT 1-800-432-2067. INCLUDE DEALERSHIP NAME, ADDRESS, CONTACT PERSON, AND QUANTITY FOR FAX ORDERS. CANADIAN DEALERS CALL 1-800-924-6994 (8am-5pm EST) OR FAX 1-905-814-1256. THE MATERIAL WILL BE SHIPPED C.O.D. DEALERS OUTSIDE THE U.S. MAY OBTAIN LOCTITE BLACK MAX BY CONTACTING THE DISTRIBUTORS AS SHOWN.
Information on additional Loctite distributors globally may be obtained from Henkel KGaA
NOTE THE UPPER LAYER OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL IS EASIEST TO MANIPULATE WHEN WARM, SO ALLOW VEHICLE TO STAND IN SUNLIGHT FOR 3-4 HOURS PRIOR TO REPAIR. DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN TO WARM THE UPPER LAYER, AS THIS WELL CAUSE THE VINYL SKIN TO BUBBLE AND BLISTER.
1. Place the steering wheel in the lowest possible position.
2. Remove the black trim ring that surrounds the instrument cluster.
NOTE BE SURE TO COVER THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER AND STEERING COLUMN WITH A CLEAN SHOP CLOTH TO PREVENT EXCESS ADHESIVE FROM DRIPPING ON THESE PIECES.
NOTE BE CAREFUL NOT TO BEND THE UPPER LAYER TOO FAR BACK AS THIS WILL CAUSE A PERMANENT MARK ON THE VINYL SKIN.
3. Use soft wood shims to hold the upper layer approximately 5mm away from the lower layer to allow access.
4. Gently roughen the surfaces to be bonded, using a tile or emery cloth.
5. Remove any loose debris and clean areas to be adhered using isopropyl alcohol.
6. Apply adhesive, pushing the nozzle down as far as possible into the opening between the two layers and ensuring that the adhesive reaches the rear of the affected area. Apply an even coating of adhesive, from back to front. Press the upper and lower layers together and wipe any excess that may extrude between the two layers of the instrument panel with a clean shop cloth. Be careful not to let extruding adhesive drip onto any other interior components.
NOTE CLEAN THE EXCESS ADHESIVE THOROUGHLY USING NAIL POLISH REMOVER OR CYBERBOND UNDO 6010, AS EXCESS ADHESIVE WILL CAUSE THE BLACK TRIM RING TO PERMANENTLY ADHERE AND PREVENT ACCESS TO THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER IN THE FUTURE.
7. Place a piece of masking tape from the dashboard, down around the steering column, and back to the dashboard to hold the upper layer in place while the adhesive cures (about 2 hours).
8. Reinstall the black trim ring.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
OPERATION / DESCRIPTION / TIME
Column Shift 0.6HR
Console Shift 0.3HR
OASIS CODES: 107000