Flashing engine light. help asap. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 19:28   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Flashing engine light. help asap.

For the past week my engine light has been on along with a rough idle. This evening I was stopped at a traffic signal for quite some time when the car started acting like it was going to stall, then the engine light began to flash. This happened before in another Taurus I had. I poured fuel injector cleaner into it and the problem was solved. Here's my question, is the flashing engine light caused by dirty fuel injector? Will cleaner always solve the problem? Please Help.
Taurus724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 19:58   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Flashing engine light. help asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus724 View Post
For the past week my engine light has been on along with a rough idle. This evening I was stopped at a traffic signal for quite some time when the car started acting like it was going to stall, then the engine light began to flash. This happened before in another Taurus I had. I poured fuel injector cleaner into it and the problem was solved. Here's my question, is the flashing engine light caused by dirty fuel injector? Will cleaner always solve the problem? Please Help.
No, it won't always solve it. You got lucky. A flashing check engine light is a severe misfire. You must have had some dirt somehow reach the injector and cause it to stick open or not close properly would be my guess. A misfire can get very complicated to diagnose or be very simple. Get the code scanned at a parts store, give a year & engine and we'll go from there.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 20:03   #3 (permalink)

Re: Flashing engine light. help asap.

uh-oh I don't know what to do I'm about 200 miles from home. I just poured some Fuel Injector cleaner in it at the gas station.
Old 08-21-2008, 20:24   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Flashing engine light. help asap.

Quote:
uh-oh I don't know what to do I'm about 200 miles from home. I just poured some Fuel Injector cleaner in it at the gas station.
Well give it a try. If it still misfires just try to go easy on it. No hard acceleration, try to find a shop as soon as you can, or a parts store that would be willing to scan the code. WHICH ENGINE AND WHAT YEAR??? I can try to give some basic advice of how and what to check, barring anything more complicated.
Old 08-21-2008, 20:39   #5 (permalink)

Its a 2002 taurus ses 24v dohc
Old 08-21-2008, 21:24   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Flashing engine light. help asap.

Quote:
Its a 2002 taurus ses 24v dohc
Ok. You really can only check spark plug since you're away from home and don't have any tools (The parts store will have some, but you can't buy everything for doing say a leakdown test, which requires a shop air compressor. If it's cylinders 1, 2, or 3 (P0301, P0302, P0303) then that's the back 3 cylinders. From right to left, cylinders are numbered 1-2-3. You'll have to remove the right cowl screen (remove washer line clips {don't drop em!!!} then just pull up on the screen) then the 2 screws holding the plastic piece the right screen sits on and the piece, then reaching behind the engine on the right side of the car remove the 4 Torx screws holding the ignition coil and set it aside (on of the coil screws holds a radio capacitor). The plug wires and plugs are now accessable WITHOUT REMOVING THE UPPER INTAKE). Twist and pull of the affected plug wire. Then remove the spark plug. (Spark plug socket, a 2-3 inch extension, ratchet) The plug replacement interval is 100,000 miles. If you're over that and they haven't been replaced yet you might as well, they'll be pretty warn anyways. Check the plug for carbon tracking on the insulator (thin black lines burned into porcelin) and excessive gap. If you find either replace the plugs and plug wires. If it's cylinders 4, 5, or 6 it's easier because that's the front 3 cylinders. Just twist and pull the wire off, remove the plug and check for the same things previously stated. From right side to left, cylinders are numbered 4-5-6. Try to see if the parts place carries Motorcraft plugs. If not don't go with any high dollar split tip plugs. Plug wires aren't too bad to do, easier with Motorcraft wires as they are the right size, but doable if you take your time. Just do the wires one by one. DO NOT SKIP DOING THE PLUG WIRES IF YOU'RE DOING PLUS. IT WILL STILL HAVE A SLIGHT MISS.
Otherwise, you'll have to get it home or the nearest shop.
Old 08-25-2008, 22:12   #7 (permalink)

Update-it turns out the engine has a miss.
wonderful. (being sarcastic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007