To flush or not to flush... that is the question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 11:03   #1 (permalink)

To flush or not to flush... that is the question

started posting on here recently trying to diagnose noise in trany on my 99 duratec... turned out to be front pump... which failed on ride to work today, cooked my trany, just ordered new jasper. I inherited this car from an old man, who drove it like an old man, and even with 90k on it looks and runs like it just pulled off the showroom floor. Only thing that bothers me is that when I got the car I tried to treat it to some love... including a trany flush... and "coincidentally" now I need a trany. I have friends that have driven these cars past 200k with NO love and here I am with my cherry ride dropping a trany b4 100k. Upon googling the benefits of trany flush I find a miriad of mechanics that warn against this process. Causes unnatural fluid flows under high pressure. My warning to you... we drive these old rides hoping to save a buck... think twice before 'flushing' anything.
pricja00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 11:06   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: To flush or not to flush... that is the question

I too have heard that.

*edit - Let me rephrase, I too have heard that flushing a transmission with high mileage can contribute to transmission failure. Weather or not the transmission was on its way out or not, who knows.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 13:05   #3 (permalink)

That is pure absolute B.S. Nobody has a system that has that kind of pressure to force
all the fluid out of a transmission in a flush. Who ever told you that hasn't a clue of what they are talking about. The car is started and the fluid is pumped out on it's own.
That transmission has a bad rap for a bad converter bearing. You had better SEE and be
SHOWN the bad pump before you spend money. Make sure you take someone with you
that knows what to look for and is honest. Mind you you could have a bad pump. It's happened before. Not very often but could happen. If your pump DID grenade and send
metal all over the transmission you will spend a lot more than $1000.00. Good Luck
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45   #4 (permalink)

http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/article.cfm/040206
Old 04-29-2010, 15:19   #5 (permalink)

I've just read that artical and never have i heard such shit. As i said in my post the engine is started and the oil is normally pumped out on it's own. NO back pressure and
NO reverse flow. How can you flush an engine and transmision in the same operation ?
Here is the best part. There is NO DETERGENT in A.T.F. If there was don't you think the transmission oil would show some signs of dirt or get darkened ? You know, as the detergent cleaning the transmission. Why does ATF stay clean after more than 100,000
miles. A.T.F. is the same as hydrolic jack oil with a red dye in it so you can tell the difference between engine oil, power steering oil and brake fluid. I use A.T.F. in my tractor's hydrolic system. As far as pouring a quart of ATF in the engine oil. GOOD LUCK.
That is an OLD wifes tail. Mixing oil viscosities and blends ! Not a good idea. Putting
ATF in an engine will sooner or later cause serious damage. If it doesn't make a difference why then is there an oil for the engine and a different oil for the transmission ?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:29   #6 (permalink)

AAMCO - Power Purge and Maintenance Services
Old 04-30-2010, 11:40   #7 (permalink)

From the BG website...

BG Big Dawg®
High Capacity Power Flush and Fluid Exchange System

Just like its predecessor (BG PF20), the BG PF20-500 Big Dawg® High Capacity Power Flush and Fluid Exchange System is the ultimate solution to effective automatic transmission maintenance. It’s built tough for large vehicle transmissions and handles small vehicles in a snap. The BG Big Dawg® cleans all internal transmission components including torque converter, valve body assemblies, lines and cooler vanes. Then it thoroughly flushes the old fluid and cleaner and simultaneously installs new fluid. It can easily handle the exchange of 14 gallons of ATF at 280 PSI IN LESS THAN ONE MINUTE!

The PF20-500WO is sold without fittings; both light duty and heavy duty fittings are available individually or in complete kits.
Old 05-01-2010, 19:49   #8 (permalink)

Sorry Chip, there are machines out there that power flush. GM has issued a TSB warning dealers not to use them. They can blow out the seal on the torque converter.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:51   #9 (permalink)

That is probably why NONE of our transmission shops and dealer don't use them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007