The Ford Taurs 2001 Fan speed control knob malfunction - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2007, 08:07   #1 (permalink)

The Ford Taurs 2001 Fan speed control knob malfunction

How to fix Fan speed control knob; The Ford Taurs 2001 Fan speed control knob just went bad yesterday. The A/C or Fan only works if i turn the dial to its max speed, but none of its previous speed setting works now. I talked to a mechanic nearby, he said that happened to Ford Taurus on serveal of his customers. He said probably i need to get a new panel from Ford dealer, Any suggestion?

liolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2007, 12:24   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: The Ford Taurs 2001 Fan speed control knob malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by liolau
How to fix Fan speed control knob; The Ford Taurs 2001 Fan speed control knob just went bad yesterday. The A/C or Fan only works if I turn the dial to its max speed, but none of its previous speed setting works now. I talked to a mechanic nearby, he said that happened to Ford Taurus on serveal of his customers. He said probably I need to get a new panel from a Ford dealer, Any suggestion?

I disagree. The most common thing to cause a blower motor to not work on high is the blower motor resistor block. There is a plastic cover under the R. side of the dash. remove it and you will find the resistor on the A/C box next to the blower motor. It has 4 wires going to it.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:37   #3 (permalink)

Re: The Ford Taurs 2001 Fan speed control knob malfunction

Thank you, I look for the resistor under the R.side of dash, and here what i found,

Im not sure which one is the resistor that i need to change? Can you take a look on these two photos, and give me some more instruction, thank you.
Old 09-16-2007, 15:58   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: The Ford Taurs 2001 Fan speed control knob malfunction

Quote:
Thank you, I looked for the resistor under the R. side of the dash, and here's what I found,

I'm not sure which one is the resistor that I need to change. Can you take a look on these two photos, and give me some more instruction??? Thank you.
That black plastic thing is the A/C box. That connector that made an air rushing sound when disconnected is the vacuum system that operates the A/C mode doors, the only exception being the temp. blend door, which is an electric actuator (motor). Plug this back in. Move more to the R. side of the car under the dash and look up. It has 4 wires going to it. They are not 4 in a row, they are 2 by 2. It's held in by 2 screws. It's right next to the blower motor, which has 2 wires going to it. It is on the bottom of the black box.
Old 09-26-2007, 18:18   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for your quick reply; before starting my 4months out of town work, i took these photos(one of them is not so clear), sorry for the late response and hope you can take a look on them.

Old 09-26-2007, 20:59   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

See the attached pictures. Circled in red is the resistor block.

Old 09-27-2007, 17:39   #7 (permalink)

Thank you, where can i get a replacement of this blower resistor block?
Old 09-27-2007, 18:09   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

I searched several sites for this item with no luck, I'm guessing it's a dealer only part but I may be wrong.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:50   #9 (permalink)

Need advice again,
My wife sent the Taurus for resistor block replacement, and it did work on the way home, but after sitting in garage for 3 days it failed again at the engine start. So she sent it back to fix again, and they replaced one of the resistor, although this time it worked for 2 more days but failed again. She noted that blower fail to work happened at the time when she started the engine. Any idea?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:50   #10 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
Need advice again,
My wife sent the Taurus for resistor block replacement, and it did work on the way home, but after sitting in garage for 3 days it failed again at the engine start. So she sent it back to fix again, and they replaced one of the resistor, although this time it worked for 2 more days but failed again. She noted that blower fail to work happened at the time when she started the engine. Any idea?
Don't remember if they still have this feature but there used to be a thing where when the engine was cold a switch on the heater tubes would keep the blower from working until the engine was warm enough. I'll have to look it up later. Come back around 7 PMish...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007