Ford Taurus (98) Wont start. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 03:01   #1 (permalink)

Ford Taurus (98) Wont start.

I went out to my car last night to go to work, unlocked the car and hoped in. The dome light turned on when i opened the door, and the headights came on when i turned them on, but when i went to start the car there was no sound and the electrical all shut down. I tried jumping it and the car had no reaction to the jump. When I tried to push the car back into the parking spot thelights came on, so I tried to start the car presto.

Drove to work, left car running for about 10 minutes to lets the alternator charge up the battery a bit shut off the car and finished my shift.Went out to start car. Nothing again. No clicks just death.I figured what the hell its worked once, I put the car in drive push it about ten feet. Dome light comes on, I put car in park and start it up. No problem. I get home shut car off, and immediatly try to turn it back on, nothing. death once again.

What would cause an automatic car to only start when pushed?
Drew39k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 04:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford Taurus (98) Wont start.

Seems to me something very simple.... battery terminals, thik wires, engine grounding, corroded terminals on starter...

To be sure get the DVOM and check battery voltage and when car dies againe try to find a place where U will see voltage drop.

WHen U'll find bad contact point, clean it with wire brush, assembly but before cover with greeze. It prevents corrosion.
Pablo-UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:21   #3 (permalink)

Re: Ford Taurus (98) Wont start.

Hey Pablo,how's the Ukraine? C-U on ford-trucks...

You likely hit it on the terminals. When the starter is powered, all the current tries to flow through the area of the post and terminal that are touching. If it is small enough, it will arc, and possibly burn away some of the post or terminal, leaving you without any power.
You can try twisting the terminals while they are on the posts, and pushing down at the same time, and possibly get it to fire to get to where you have tools to clean and tighten the terminals properly. I have had one battery die totally within 10 minutes of it starting the car without problem. A cell shorted out in that time, and the battery had to be replaced. I don't think it had enough to barely light the interior lights.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007