Fuel filter? when and how? please advise! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 07:10   #1 (permalink)

Fuel filter? when and how? please advise!

How difficult is it to change a fuel filter? I have the 24V DOHC engine. If I can't do it myself (I'm not too handy), is it OK to let pep boys do? It seems like a small job for a busy shop. How long should it take a person who knows how to do it (on other cars).

Ford says mine is very old, but the pressure, etc is ok. How do I know when it must be changed?
whitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 09:07   #2 (permalink)

confused Re: Fuel filter? when and how? please advise!

Just me again, adding more info. I found out some prices and they are all over the place.

Is it my engine or what!! (24V DOHC on a 2001). I called Pep Boys and they want $30 for the part and $58 to install it, somehow he added that up to $100.71! OUCH! (NAPA part is like $15.)

Called Jiffy Lube and they do it for $59.99, but when I questioned if it is the same for all cars she didn't know. A guy came on and did say that some Tauruses they don't/can't do and that I should stop in and they can tell me.

Looking like I may as well use a "real" shop. The guy I bought the car from had claimed it was done about 12,000 miles ago, less than 2 years anyhow. Yet, Ford says it looks very old. Maybe the guy was confused and he never did it because it was too hard? He would have done it himself...he did his oil and his trans fluid changes himself.

OH MY GOSH! I just called a "real" shop, they want $50-60 and FORD says it's $70. What is Pep Boys thinking? I may do Ford as my son can have an appt and wait. The other shop is a leave it in the morning shop, and I don't know if I trust Jiffy Lube. I don't think I want to mess with this myself....
whitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:59   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Fuel filter? when and how? please advise!

It's not a hard job to change the fuel filter. My local Auzozone has it for 15 bucks http://www.autozone.com/R,APP941154/...ductDetail.htm

Jack up the right rear and remove the bolt holding the filter in place, pull the plastic retainers and remove the lines (lines just slide on held by plastic clips). There will probably be a small quick spray but won't be too much (lay a towel under filter area) put lines on new filter push in new clips (if included) and bolt back up to frame. Should take aprox 10 minutes.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 13:41   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Fuel filter? when and how? please advise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko
It's not a hard job to change the fuel filter. My local Auzozone has it for 15 bucks http://www.autozone.com/R,APP941154/...ductDetail.htm

Jack up the right rear and remove the bolt holding the filter in place, pull the plastic retainers and remove the lines (lines just slide on held by plastic clips). There will probably be a small quick spray but won't be too much (lay a towel under filter area) put lines on new filter push in new clips (if included) and bolt back up to frame. Should take aprox 10 minutes.
WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL THE CLIPS WITH THE LINES ON THE FILTER ALREADY!!! THE CLIPS WILL BREAK!!! You have to put the clips in the slots on the end of the lines, then put the lines on the filter. Push the lines on until they click. The first time I did a fuel filter on a Taurus I tried to put the clips in after the lines were on and broke the clips.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007