Fuel pump issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 12:52   #1 (permalink)

Fuel pump issues

OK. where to begin???

I took my car to a local mechanic to have a safety inspection done so i could get it legal here. When i got to the mechanics lot and turned the car off it never started again. It was running a little hesitant on the way up there. So after paying him and a tow truck a lot of money to look at it and move it back to my house the mechanic tells me that the fuel pump and ccrm is bad. I replaced both at a hefty cost. Even got a new ccrm. Still the car does not start.

When the key is turned on b4 start the fuel pump does not engage. If a hot wire is run to the #5 wire on the ccrm the fuel pump runs. What should I be looking at now as the source of why my fuel pump wont run when key hits on position?
I checked all fueses in the fuse box in the car and under the hood. None are blown.

I am really clueless as to where to begin looking now. Any help would be GREAT! This car has about 2 weeks before it goes to get crushed if I can not figure this out.

Thanks everyone!

95 SHO 3.2L ATX

Last edited by Ryanzreality; 08-17-2010 at 12:54. Reason: Forgot to add kind of car
Ryanzreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 14:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel pump issues

Is there a relay for the fuel pump? If so, you could swap it out with one of the other relays to see if that's the problem.
hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 14:32   #3 (permalink)

yes there is a relay. It is in the ccrm that I replaced.
Old 08-17-2010, 15:42   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

When the key is on, there should be power in the yellow, red/light green, and the black/orange wires at the ccrm. When the key is first turned on, thereshould be power in the pink/black wire for a few seconds. Do you get power there? I'm sure you checked the inertia switch too.
Old 08-17-2010, 17:11   #5 (permalink)

the inertia switch is in the trunk right? Because I checked that thing.

I have to go buy a multimeter and test the wires you mentioned for power. I am going to be back at my house this weekend to run a few tests and I will post results. Thanks for the quick responses and info.

Any multimeter recommendations?
Old 08-17-2010, 17:26   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

No idea on them. For home type use most any will work. Even a test light. I have several test lights and my multimeter cost around $350.00. I bought it 12 years ago. You don't need anything like that though.
Old 08-18-2010, 13:09   #7 (permalink)

Had a similar problem. Found out that the Taurus is notorious for broken wires in the steering column. They told me after they fixed the broken wire that the fuel pump was bad. B.S.! The fuel system just needed to pressure up.
larksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 14:38   #8 (permalink)

Success!
I finally bought the meter and made it home to do some checking. I checked all 12V spots on the diagram. I got to #13 wire and found the problem.
I unbolted the harness from the ccrm and found that the #13 and #14 wires had been pushed back inside the wire harness and were no longer making contact to the ccrm. Pulled both of them back out and bolted the harness back on the ccrm. Turned the key to success!
Old 09-16-2010, 17:42   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Good job. Nothing like having the tools to do the job. Glad you found it. That type of problem is pretty hard to find.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007