Gas Mileage problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 07:25   #1 (permalink)

Gas Mileage problem

I drive a 2001 ford taurus. I filled the tank last week and I just ran empty at 277 miles that is over a hundred miles short of what i usually get for gas mileage. I didn't know what was wrong so I filled it again and the same results.. Can any one give me some advice as to what the problem maybe..
Thank you
johnny2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2006, 18:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: Gas Mileage problem

A real quick and cheap way to fix the problem might be the spark plugs. I have a 99 taurus, and the plugs got so bad I was only getting about 13 miles to the gallon. I changed the plugs and she runs like a champ. Another sympton of bad spark plugs is fluctuations in the rpm's while the engine is warming up. Sometimes the plugs are still providing a spark, but only enough to ignite at higher temps.
montangrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 19:34   #3 (permalink)

I have this same problem with a 2001 Ford Police Interceptor P71 that I have owned since it was new.

I have had it tuned up (spark plugs replaced), no diff. I have had a mechanic go through it to no avail. Recently a check eng light came on. I took it to Autozone, and they read cyl 2 misfire and cyl 6 misfire. This was after I had the plugs replaced. The light came on about a week before the plugs were replaced.

I had the light cleared when they connected the scan tool yesterday and today i drove over 100 miles and no light. Yet the gas still seems to be sucking. Any ideas???
courtofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 23:52   #4 (permalink)

I would say that changing the plugs is a good way to go. You should also dump some fuel cleaner in so you clean the fuel system, you could have dirty injectors.
shelby_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 21:29   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby_85
I would say that changing the plugs is a good way to go. You should also dump some fuel cleaner in so you clean the fuel system, you could have dirty injectors.

Will refrain from my sarchastic tendencies here....

Unfortunately I have done all of this, and yet, still sucks gas like a horse drinking water.

I have done all of the obvious stuff, still no change.
courtofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 23:24   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtofficer
Will refrain from my sarchastic tendencies here....

Unfortunately I have done all of this, and yet, still sucks gas like a horse drinking water.

I have done all of the obvious stuff, still no change.

Have you tried changing the spark plugs. i had this problem with my 97 taurus and all it was was the spark plug wires.
shelby_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007