Good Torque wrench for my spark plugs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 10:26   #1 (permalink)

Good Torque wrench for my spark plugs

Need to change the plugs in my 2000 Ford Taurus SE. Can somebody recommend a good torque wrench? I am not worried about money. I just want quality for the long haul. Again thanks to all who help us wanna be mechanics out.
I wish I could buy y'all a beer but I will drink some in your honor.
Cordially,
Schleprock
Schleprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2010, 10:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: Good Torque wrench for my spark plugs

Central tools make very nice torque wrenches. So does SK. Problem with spark plugs is that the torque is so low that you're actually better off buying an INCH-pound wrench. Because most ft/lb wrench start at 10. Torquing plugs to 17 isn't very accurate with one of those wrenches.

Heres a link to a really cheap source

Central Tools 97351 3/8 inch - Measuring, Precision - Torque Wrench
Old 07-03-2010, 15:50   #3 (permalink)

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=
suednim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 16:03   #4 (permalink)

You have to have " THE FEEL " . If the threads are galled the torque will be wrong.
If the head threads are carboned or dirty the torque will be wrong. I can't count how many bolts i've snapped off using a torque wrench. I guarantee you will snap off connecting rod bolts using a torque wrench and they are only 40 lbs. I've snapped off lots. If you have a cheap wrench or a GOOD wrench they are only as good as the user.
Leave your wrench in the sun and the springs get soft. The torque will be out. As a
mechanic for too many years and i see " I'm not worried about money " that scares me.
Just my input but if a person has one million dollars in tools and doesn't know how to use
them what good are the tools ? Yes you need a torque wrench for engine rebuilds but you have to know when to stop. Hopefully before you hear and feel the SNAP. Something t think about. Good luck
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 16:05   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I always preferred the exposed pointer type over the click type myself.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 17:36   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

On the click type, you have to release the tension ater using them and have them calibrated every once in a while.
Old 07-03-2010, 19:55   #7 (permalink)

Right. Even good tools wear out/break. My Proto T-wrench of late '60-s vintage, broke and had to be fixed under warranty. In industry, T-wrenches are calibrated/tested/certified before use; same as gauges.Now, since the Proto name/co. was sold, like Blackhawk et al, who knows what they are like? I can tell U that they are not the same. As for using them, all readings will be off unless done w/ clean, dry threads. When do U find this? Certainly not much if doing a repair job in the real world.
suednim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 16:08   #8 (permalink)

You don't need no steenkeeng torque wrench for spark plugs.

Just tighten them good and snug. Pay attention to how tight they were coming out.

But if you want a torque wrench, get one at the price you're willing to spend. My Craftsman is 15 years old, I ran it over with my Suburban and broke off the locking mechanism and it still keeps on ticking. It's $60-70 new I think. You can spend hundreds if you want but from the sound of your posts, you don't do a whole lot or you're a young buck just learning. Either way, if you're not planning on turning wrenches for a living get the craftsman or the Harbor Freight. They'll both outlive you.

Oh, and BTW, here's how you can buy us a beer:

http://www.beermonthclub.com/beer-of-the-month-club.htm
qman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 14:14   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman2 View Post
You don't need no steenkeeng torque wrench for spark plugs.

Just tighten them good and snug. Pay attention to how tight they were coming out.

But if you want a torque wrench, get one at the price you're willing to spend. My Craftsman is 15 years old, I ran it over with my Suburban and broke off the locking mechanism and it still keeps on ticking. It's $60-70 new I think. You can spend hundreds if you want but from the sound of your posts, you don't do a whole lot or you're a young buck just learning. Either way, if you're not planning on turning wrenches for a living get the craftsman or the Harbor Freight. They'll both outlive you.

Oh, and BTW, here's how you can buy us a beer:

Beer Of The Month Club Gift Monthly Beer Club
These posts just rock man, very funny.Old buck who wants to do the most I can before I go to the pros. Unfortunately the beer money was spent on the torque wrench lol!
Old 07-19-2010, 14:16   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suednim View Post
Thanks for the info. There is a harbor freight in my area I go there often just to see what is new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007