Is this the head gasket? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 11:29   #1 (permalink)

Is this the head gasket?

Me again.
2000 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 V6 OHV, 180,000 miles

Smelled coolant checked all hoses, radiator, thermostat, etc. Couldn't find leak so I took to my mechanic. He said it is a gasket in a tough location between timing cover and it might possibly be waterpump also. He quoted me between $700-1000 depending on I need waterpump. He is gone for a couple of days and he will start job on Monday depending on my go.

Before I have him do work I just wanted to know if anyone knows exactly what he meant before I see him on Monday
Schleprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 13:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: Is this the head gasket?

I don't know what he means but i suggest you get a new mechanic. Is he guessing or
does he know ? Did he use the die with infrared lighting ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 14:11   #3 (permalink)

Hey Man what's up Chipset. I always look for your posts because they are unvarnished no bs. I spoke to him on the damn cellphone and it was a bad connection so when I see him Monday I will get all the info. This guy has been recommended to me by 3 people and I read about him online and I believe he is a solid guy.
Old 05-20-2011, 15:00   #4 (permalink)

No problem big guy. I though i'd ask. I don't know your mechanic. $700.00 to a $1000.00
is quite a range. You can buy a lot of gas or beer for $300.00. There is a golden rule
one of my service managers told me. The customer will only pay once. Even if the repair
normally costs $50.00 and you charge him or her $1000.00 they will pay it but the repair
had better be permanent and last longer than the car owner lives. They will never pay
again for the same or related repair. The mechanic had better come up with a completely new problem and do some serious bull shitting to cover his or her ass if the
first repair that cost $1000.00 didn't do it. Just my in put.
Old 05-20-2011, 16:10   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Speaking of beer, Chip, what kinds do you have where you live? Do you have American beer like Budweiser & Miller?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 17:14   #6 (permalink)

Yah, we gotem all. We can also special order any liquor or beer we want from our
liquor commision. ( government owned ). I've been in the U.S. many times and we have
stuff here you guys have never heard of. We still can't buy beer or wine in 7-11. We
can't even shop on sunday until after noon and only open till 5. I could tell you what i think of this country but i'd probably spend 5-10 in the can when the RCMP pound on my
door.
Old 05-20-2011, 19:14   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Back in the late 70's early 80's. We had what was called "Billy Beer". Billy as in Jimmy Carter's brother Billy. You'd occasionally see these two together on TV, one would be smiling and the other would be drunk as hell.

On the can was printed:

"Brewed expressly for and with the personal approval of one of America's all-time great beer drinkers - Billy Carter.

I had this beer brewed just for me. I think it's the best I've ever tasted. And I've tasted a lot. I think you'll like it, too."

I guess we should get back on topic lol
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 21:18   #8 (permalink)

You said it perfectly. Unfortunately that pretty much describes me. Once you've been screwed you don't forget. I believe he has to replace the timing cover gasket cause there is a slow leak of coolant. Does that make more sense?
Old 05-20-2011, 21:50   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That timing cover gasket does leak often on the 3.8 but I don't know if it's a problem on the 3.0. It does take a lot of time to replace.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007