heat/idle problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12   #1 (permalink)

heat/idle problems

ive searched for this and i cant quite find exactly what im looking for. i had to go through the dramatics of ripping apart the dash to replace the instrument cluster bulbs, & for those who've done it you know how much of a PITA that is. when i removed the radio/hvac controls, something happened but im not sure exactly what. now whenever i turn the heat on, it only comes out of the defrost and a tiny bit on the floors but not enough to be felt. i looked at the controls after i replaced everything and i noticed that i didnt completely disengage the heat before i unplugged everything, could that have something to do with it?

now for problem number 2. i purchased this car with 14k miles, it now has 104k and i've had a heat-related idling problem that i could never conquer. it only occurs when the heat is on, it will idle fine and about every 15-20 seconds or so the idle will drop down to about 400-550 and it feels like it was ready to quit, then it will go back to the reg. n repeat. the battery light used to flash real quick when it would bog down, i replaced the battery, that problem went away but i still have the idling problem. i have a SRI but i didnt install it til about 68k or so, so that shouldnt be the problem.

any ideas??
mbooth420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 21:53   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: heat/idle problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbooth420 View Post
ive searched for this and i cant quite find exactly what im looking for. i had to go through the dramatics of ripping apart the dash to replace the instrument cluster bulbs, & for those who've done it you know how much of a PITA that is. when i removed the radio/hvac controls, something happened but im not sure exactly what. now whenever i turn the heat on, it only comes out of the defrost and a tiny bit on the floors but not enough to be felt. i looked at the controls after i replaced everything and i noticed that i didnt completely disengage the heat before i unplugged everything, could that have something to do with it?

now for problem number 2. i purchased this car with 14k miles, it now has 104k and i've had a heat-related idling problem that i could never conquer. it only occurs when the heat is on, it will idle fine and about every 15-20 seconds or so the idle will drop down to about 400-550 and it feels like it was ready to quit, then it will go back to the reg. n repeat. the battery light used to flash real quick when it would bog down, i replaced the battery, that problem went away but i still have the idling problem. i have a SRI but i didnt install it til about 68k or so, so that shouldnt be the problem.

any ideas??
Year, model, and engine please.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 22:43   #3 (permalink)

Re: heat/idle problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
Year, model, and engine please.

It's an 03 Taurus SES.. I believe it has the Vulcan engine it's the slower of the two.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:33   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Do you have the electronic climate control or the one with knobs? Either it sounds like the blend door actuator quit working.

As far as the idle it may be the load of the fan is dropping the RPM. This would be because the IAC is not allowing enough air in to keep the engine idling at the proper speed.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:20   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123 View Post
Do you have the electronic climate control or the one with knobs? Either it sounds like the blend door actuator quit working.

As far as the idle it may be the load of the fan is dropping the RPM. This would be because the IAC is not allowing enough air in to keep the engine idling at the proper speed.
its the non-electric climate control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007