Heater/AC runtime problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 01:03   #1 (permalink)

Heater/AC runtime problem

2000 Taurus 3.0, went through heater core flush nightmare 2x and assuming the vice grips weren't allowing bypass, got my heat up to moderate from very low - it's still not going to handle the winter coming. I notice that the AC is on with the heat, and the coolant lines to the ac compressor are cold and the compressor is running. ??? Should I just pull the AC fuse for the winter?

Trying to get the mileage up since I bought it two weeks back, I've replaced the air filter, plugs, checked wires for sparks, checked the coil resistances against a new one (same), cleaned the MAF, shot the throttle plate and plenum, cleaned the oil system and changed to Mobil1 synthetic, put seafoam in the tank...and although it's gone up to 22mpg, there is still a vibration mostly under accelleration like a cylinder misfiring slightly from 45mph and up, worse the faster I'm going. Could it still be the coil, even though it checks out electrically? It was worse before the repairs, so it's definitely engine related.

I'm afraid I'm facing a leakdown test if I don't figure this one out.
It's turning into a money pit even with ME doing the work!
quadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 07:55   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Heater/AC runtime problem

Have you checked for codes? Autozone will do it for free. The coil could possibly be bad even with the readings showing okay.
Old 12-16-2009, 14:39   #3 (permalink)

I did, and the codes are clear. I'm actually hoping it's the coil because it's $65 compared to a head job and leakdown test. I'll try to see if our ottoparts dealer will "loan" me a new one for a test. (just occurred to me)
Old 12-16-2009, 21:01   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If you have a cylinder with low compression, it would be most noticable at idle. It would idle rough. I think it has to be a spark leak somewhere. Possible plug wire. The ohm reading on plug wires is aout 5k per ft. if you want to check that.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:22   #5 (permalink)

OMG! All my years of working on my vehicles and I'd never heard of that one. Thanx Bert, I'll give that a shot -it has OEM on it; dealer lied and said they'd replaced plugs and wires. They'd replaced the front EASY plugs only. 2 in back were rusted, one didn't even go to that car. (insert duncecap smiley here!)
I looked at night for the Chinese Circus and didn't see even one spark anywhere, but that woulnd't mean they're not breaking down internally, right?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:07   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They can get too much resistance and not fire properly. You don't see it then. I've done a simple compression check by disabling fuel and ignition and cranking it over. The cranking will spped up when it gets the cylinder that's low on compression. You can hear the cranking speed. That's actually how the new PCM can tell a missfire. This doesn't work for very low compression leak.
Old 12-17-2009, 16:35   #7 (permalink)

I checked the wires, got anywhere from 7.5K to 10,000 except for one that was open, no resistance. Put a new set on this evening. My mechanic thinks that the shaking is a torn motor mount or CV joint. The mystery of the AC running with the heat is still at large and the heat isn't great.
Old 12-17-2009, 16:39   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

The AC compressor will run in all modes except vent. My 01 did the same thing. It's a stupid design but that's how they made it.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 17:37   #9 (permalink)

Now that kinda gets me. We're supposed to be saving gas and the powers that be leave us with a totally unecessary engine brake running. All I can say is that when I turned on the heat and fan in my '60 Chevy pickup, I was never cold and the FE didn't go down.
Progress. Hmpfh!
Old 12-17-2009, 18:33   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

I guess a person could always put a simple on/off switch in the power line running to the compressor.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007