Ford Forums banner

heater blowing cool air

9K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  rickylg78 
#1 ·
just last week i turned on my heater for the first time this year and to my surprise it wasn't heat at all. it will blow heat for a few seconds then gets pretty much cold. i was told to change the thermostat, but that did nothing. i was also told that the heater control valve could be bad but found it doesn't have one. can anyone help me with getting this fixed. i have two little children so this is a necessity.

#2 ·
could be the heater core stopped up or the blend door on the heat-box not working. If the temp gauge is normal (half way or so while heat is on) then that would rule out the thermostat. Try warming up the engine, heater on, temp on hot and raise the hood and feel of both heater hoses running through the firewall, both should be pretty hot and close to the same temp. If not then that would point to a stopped up heater core. If both are hot then I would look at the blend door.

#9 ·
rickylg78 said:
2002 3.0 manual controls. is it the blend door motor or the actuator?
It's an actuator, it's mounted on the side of the heater box, remove the ICP (Radio/Climate controls) and you will see it.

#13 ·
jwko said:
That is false. Now if you were changing out the heater core on the Taurus you would have to open the sealed system.
On a 1986-95 Taurus/Sable, you would have to Evac the system. On a 1996-2007 Taurus/Sable you don't. Just pull the dash back, remover the blend door actuator, linkage, and spring then the core cover, then slide it out.

#17 ·
the blend door was not the problem nor the heater core (that we know of) we blocked off the bypass on the firewall and ran water and air thru the core. heater is working fine though. not sure what happened still cause nothing was in the water to cause a blockage. can you check to make sure there is not a vacuum module or something that would shut off the water to the heater core. ford says there is not a heater control valve. the blend door actuator was a piece of cake to change. it is right behing the radio almost on the floor. didn't have to take the dash or anything off.

#18 ·
I had very good luck with my 99 Taurus heater. I had very little heat so I flushed the core and solved the problem. Very easy to do.

I removed the hoses AT THE ENDS of the steel tubings near the top of the engine rather than at the heater core. Much easier to get to. Next connected a garden hose , cut the hose connection off and clamped it to the tubing on the passenger side. Now with both sides of the heater removed from the the coolant circuit, I just connect the hose to the house hot water and let it run for a couple of minutes. Next I filled the heater core with a strong detergent (the purple stuff) and let it sit for about a half hour. Flushed again with the hose, reconnected everything.

The heater will provide more heat than I can take here in New England.

#22 ·
i got to mine from the floor. it was easy but we think the heater core might have been slightly plugged so we ran water and air thru it and it works now. just be careful with the air. we only put tops 20 pounds freely thru it. i wouldn't restrict it any cause it might bust the heater core.

#23 ·
rickylg78 said:
i got to mine from the floor. it was easy but we think the heater core might have been slightly plugged so we ran water and air thru it and it works now. just be careful with the air. we only put tops 20 pounds freely thru it. i wouldn't restrict it any cause it might bust the heater core.

so Rickylg yours was a expedition also? Were did you conect to flush the core?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.