1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Drain engine cooling system.
3. Loosen four water pump pulley bolts while drive belt is in place.
4. Remove drive belt.
5. Remove drive belt tensioner.
6. Remove lower radiator hose and heater water hose.
7. Remove crankshaft pulley and damper.
8. Disconnect engine control sensor wiring from Crankshaft Position sensor and locating stud bolt.
9. NOTE: Do not cut and seal oil pan gasket.
Always replace with new oil pan gasket.
Drain and remove oil pan. Discard removed oil pan gasket.
10. Remove water pump pulley retaining bolts and water pump pulley.
11. Remove retaining bolts from engine front cover to cylinder block.
12. NOTE: The engine front cover and water pump may be removed as an assembly by not removing bolt numbers 11 through 15 as shown.
Carefully remove engine front cover and water pump as an assembly from cylinder block.
1. CAUTION: Aluminum gouges easily; use care when scraping gasket material from engine front cover or leakage may occur upon reassembly.
NOTE: Lightly oil all bolt and stud bolt threads with Motorcraft Super Premium 5W30 Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-G before installation except those specifying special sealant.
Carefully clean all gasket material from engine front cover and cylinder block.
2. Clean sealant from cylinder block to oil pan and engine front cover mating surfaces using Metal Surface Cleaner F4AZ-19536-RA or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSE-M513392-A.
3. Inspect crankshaft front seal for wear or damage. Replace if necessary.
4. Align engine front cover gasket over cylinder block dowels.
5. Install crankshaft front oil seal protector onto crankshaft if available.
6. Install engine front cover and water pump as an assembly onto cylinder block with water pump pulley loosely attached to water pump hub.
7. Hand-start engine front cover retaining bolts. Apply Pipe Sealant with Teflon D8AZ-19554-A or equivalent meeting Ford specifications WSK-M2G350-A2 and ESR-M18P7-A to bolt Nos. 1, 2 and 3 as illustrated.
8. Tighten retaining bolt No. 1 through 9 and 15 to 20-30 Nm (15-22 ft. lbs.) and No. 10 through 14 to 8-12 Nm (71-106 inch lbs.).
9. Clean inside of oil pan. Install oil pan.
10. Hand-tighten water pump pulley retaining bolts.
11. Install crankshaft damper and crankshaft pulley. Tighten damper retaining bolt to 125-165 Nm (93-121 ft. lbs.) and the four pulley retaining bolts to 40-55 Nm (30-44 ft. lbs.) .
12. If crankshaft position sensor was removed from engine front cover, install crankshaft position sensor and tighten retaining bolts to 5-7 Nm (45-61 inch lbs.) .
13. Install drive belt tensioner.
14. Install drive belt. Tighten water pump pulley retaining bolts to 20-30 Nm (15-22 ft. lbs.) .
15. Install lower radiator hose and heater water hose. Clamp securely.
16. Fill and bleed engine cooling system.
17. Fill crankcase to proper level with Motorcraft Super Premium 5W30 Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-G.
18. Connect battery ground cable.
19. Start engine and check for coolant, exhaust and oil leaks.