Ford Forums banner

HELP!!! Bad misfire on 1997

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 ford taurus that has a bad misfire. It started after I floored it around a car and then it got really bad. It shakes the whole car at an idle! Car is drivable and seems to get a little better when raising the rpms. I replaced the sparkplugs, wires, egr valve and still is acting the same. It's the 2nd cylander that has the misfire. I do have spark in that cylander and all cylanders for that matter. Would replacing the cam sensor fix the problem. Don't know where to go from here? Thanks. Great site!

#2 ·
I have a 1997 ford taurus that has a bad misfire. It started after I floored it around a car and then it got really bad. It shakes the whole car at an idle! Car is drivable and seems to get a little better when raising the rpms. I replaced the sparkplugs, wires, egr valve and still is acting the same. It's the 2nd cylinder that has the misfire. I do have spark in that cylander and all cylanders for that matter. Would replacing the cam sensor fix the problem. Don't know where to go from here? Thanks. Great site!
I could be as simple as a bad fuel injector, or it could be more complicated and be a valve/cylinder head issue. Try swapping fuel injectors and see if the misfire moves to the other cylinder. You'll have to remove the upper intake to access the back 3 injectors, numbered 1-2-3 from right to left. Swap numbers 2 & 3 and the misfire should move. If it doesn't move then the next thing to check is cylinder sealing by a leakdown test. Compression test won't show anything if you have a valve sealing issue, only if you have a major breakage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.