Help! Broken shift cable - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 10:21   #1 (permalink)

Question Help! Broken shift cable

'98 Taurus AOD column shift, 3.0 Vulcan. Shifter had been feeling sloppy and finally broke loose this morning. The lever setup operates under the dash and is still connected to the cable. Trans end also still connected so I'm guessing the cable broke inside the cable housing.

I could really use some advice on replacing it - what all needs to be removed? Can I get a replacement from local parts places or is it a dealer-only part? My Chilton manual covers nothing about it and a search of the forum didn't turn up anything useful.

As annoying as this is, I'm happy it happened at home and in my driveway
Thanks,
Don
Ranchero Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 15:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Help! Broken shift cable

Well, it's fixed. $110 for the part at Ford (after pleading for, and receiving a discount!) - not available in the aftermarket that I could find. Part# is YF1Z-7E395-BA.
Can't believe I was able to reach in under the dash with my big clumsy hands, but somehow I managed it, and I hope the following can help others so afficted - I mean, if I can do it without any expert help............

If you want to give it a shot, it isn't really hard at all. Disconnect the battery. You only need to remove the lower panel below the steering wheel and you'll see the setup above the steering column.

The cable un-snaps from the under-dash, column shift lever with hand pressure. The cable housing retaining clip is tough to see and release with a screw driver, but it eventually pops right off. If you break it, no sweat - the new cable has the new one built-in.
On the engine side, unbolt the cable attachment/adjustment nut (12mm socket) on the trans shift lever, unclip the cable housing retainer - similar to the inside retainer clip. This retainer, unlike the inside one, has to be carefully preserved, removed and retained - it will re-install on the new cable. It's colored white, while everything else is black. The whole cable assembly easily slides out through the inside, under the dash. Route the new cable in and re-attach the housing clips. The cable end snaps back on to the column shifter by hand and the other end re-attaches with the nut - I found it best to adjust with the trans in neutral and have a helper hold the shifter at the neutral position. Adjusting it in Park wasn't so good because there's some slop in the column linkage and it just wouldn't line up right.

I'm back in business!
Ranchero Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:11   #3 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Help! Broken shift cable

Atta Boy!! Nice to hear us do it yourselfers CAN do it! Most of it's not rocket science but the repair places would like us to think it is. Way to go Ranchero! Doug
doug rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007