HELP!!! Does anyone know what fluid is required for the power steering??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2006, 15:00   #1 (permalink)

HELP!!! Does anyone know what fluid is required for the power steering???

I replaced a torque converter lock up solenoid in my Taurus (recently given to me by my brother). That fixed the transmission problem but putting in the fix caused me other grief. I jacked the engine too high doing the transmission that caused the power steering hose to break just before the tubing attaches to the rack/pinion or what ever is down there.

Today I installed a new hose assembly----- now here is where things get interesting.

I purchased a quart of Pyroil power steering fluid that reads on the container that it meets Ford spec M2C128C & D. Maybe I should have looked up those specs before putting the oil into the pump. Anyway, the pump is making a racket. Also notice thefluid in the pump looks very dirty....... maybe mixed with mechanics surprise for all I know.

I have a copy of Haynes Ford & Mercury Sable repair manual. Some manual! Doesn't even state what oil Ford recommends for the pump. The dip stick on the pump also doesn't state what oil should be used.

Another site recommends Mercron ATF NOT MERCRON V that the transmission uses.

Is anyone familiar with what should be in the power steering fluid circuit?

I cringe now at the thought of having to purge the fluid without leaving contaminated stuff behind.

Thanks--

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 15:50   #2 (permalink)

cool Re: HELP!!! Does anyone know what fluid is required for the power steering???

Foggy, I believe the fluid is ok, pumps are suspicious. Had a hose leak once lost all fluid, replaced hose & fluid. Got a "new" sound out of pump after that, checked fluid looked dirty, changed it with new fluid to proper level, still had sound but no pump performance problems. That was 40k ago & all is well with pump but still has sound. Price of new pump @ chain parts stores is about $50 last time I checked = 14 mo ago. best luck
stepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 15:53   #3 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: HELP!!! Does anyone know what fluid is required for the power steering???

Usually power steering pumps will simply use Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). The racket in the pump may be air in the system. You will need to turn the steering from lock to lock to try and purge the air from the system. Your manual may have instruction for bleeding air from power steering.
Old 12-02-2006, 18:05   #4 (permalink)

Here is an update on my power steering saga.

I found that Pennzoil recommends their Mercon or Dexron III for Ford power steering for years including my 1999. So today I purchased 3 quarts of somebody's Mercon ATF and received Wifey's OK to put her turkey baster to better use than it has seen over the years stored in one of her kitchen drawers.

Next, I purged as much junk fluid from the pump as I could, replacing it with the new Mercon. Took awhile to cycle the reservoir with 3 quarts although I believe the end results were worth the efforts expended. That stuff look terrible. Of course, I didn't help the situation by mixing new power steering fluid with ATF that was originally in the pump circuit.

The pump's fluid is now clean, the pump is quite so lets see if it lasts.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:35   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Glad to hear it worked for you and thanks for posting your results to help others that may have a similar problem.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:28   #6 (permalink)

Its funny but just last fall I replaced the fluid in my reservoir by doing what foggysail did - suck out what you can run it a while, do the same, etc. Only I just used the auto parts special fluid in my '97 Taurus GL. I didn't know about the tranny fluid tip. Thanks.

Two important lessons here:
1. We often overlook power steering, brake fluid, etc. Don't forget to replace these fluids. If you ever have to open your brake system or power steering system, coolant system take the opportunity to flush as much fluid as you can.
2. Turkey basters aren't just for Thanksgiving. Seriously though, when my brother worked in a hospital's central supply he grabbed me several large irrigation syringes and some tubing. I can't tell you often those have come in handy. So hit the dollar store on your way home tonight.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 14:07   #7 (permalink)

I believe the stuff is called power steeering fluid. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)
kato14709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007