Help my parents out - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 22:57   #1 (permalink)

Help my parents out

Hello guys I need some help. My parents are taking a trip to Texas. He was planning on leaving last week but his truck started acting up. He took it into a mechanic and he told him the transmission had to be replaced. My dad said OK and it took him about a week to get the transmission in. My parents left earlier today, but around San Bernadino,CA their car stopped. When they stopped at a rest area they could turn on the engine but it wouldn't go. I looked up a certified ASE mechanic, and certified by the BBB so hopefully this time the work will be done right.

Now the issue. My parents called the bad mechanic back and he said he would fix it but my parents would have to tow the car back. Which would cost a lot since it was 243 miles. He also said it would have a 3 month warranty. So is there law or place that I can contact in order to help my parents get their money back?

Thanks you guys very much.
outlawstar223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 20:19   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Help my parents out

Your folks can contact their member of parliament for that particular county/region and see what they say. However, if the shop is honouring the warranty it's a mixed bag. I'd contact the second shop that fixed it and get them to write exactly what they fixed and what the other shop did wrong. With that information they can spend a couple hundred bucks and take the first shop to civil court where they will more than likely will get their money back if the second shop can prove it was negligence on the first shop to install the transmission in the first place. It all takes time and some patience. If the court fees are a problem, you can try including that in the claim.

As for the tow, most reputable shops know someone, or even own their own tow truck. The owner of the first shop should've phoned to say they can go down and pick up the truck, as it's under warranty. Your folks will have to read their warranty carefully, as it might cover a tow for up to say 50 miles, if there's no mileage limit and the trans shop has a good reputation, you can inquire with the BBB about the problem. Knowingly they're not a member to begin with, but as I mentioned, phone the local government official in the area of the first shop and go from there.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I assume this was in California. If so they can make a complaint through the better business council here: BBB: For Consumers Other States have similarly named organisations.

I'm an Australia living down under and when I had a problem with non delivery of goods (and no response to my emails) I bought on the Internet from a company in California a complaint through them got an instant positive result.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:57   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Actually they are right across the USA and Canada see United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007