hesitation under load - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 01:13   #1 (permalink)

hesitation under load

2003 Taurus, vulcan engine, 61,000 miles and the car hesitates under load. I just put in plugs. Any thoughts?
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 03:43   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: hesitation under load

Checked the plug wires / leads ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:10   #3 (permalink)

No, what should be done? Should they be replaced? I would rather not be throwing parts at the problem. Thanks for the answer.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:14   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Could be one of the plug wires breaking down under load , dropping that cyl. and causing slight misfire .Case of checking , testing or replacing wires if needed but other possible causes if not that .
Old 02-10-2012, 12:39   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Could also check and clean MAF sensor if needed if it's not leads / wires .
Old 02-12-2012, 09:35   #6 (permalink)

R.S. Logan is right on the money. I'd clean MAF first (see post below) and then I'd install a premium set of wires if the problem is still there.

Clean MAF sensor
Old 02-12-2012, 21:31   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, will replace wires tomorrow and clean maf. Happened today, seems it happens when car is hot and today while trying to pass someone the car acted like a bucking bronco. Also put the car in neutral and revved up till about 5,000 rpm and it did not miss a beat.
Also I got another suggestion that it may be the camshaft synchronizer. I'm going to try to get codes read tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2012, 20:53   #8 (permalink)
canuck

First, I gotta say it... do not rev the car in neutral close to redline! By all means, do it if you want to damage the engine... without a load on the engine the parts freely spin and too sudden of an RPM raise or drop can cause damage - the higher and faster the worse it can be on the engine. Newer vehicles are limited to 3000-4000rpm in neutral (or park) because of this. Rev limit depends on redline or fuel cutoff of course.

So, providing the gap on the plugs was correct when they were installed, the MAF as mentioned is one thing to check and clean. While you have the intake nearly off, it's wise to check and even clean the throttle body. Check the air filter and make sure no animals have made nests in the airbox.

The car hesitates like it won't shift properly? Or it's just very slow to rev even going downhill? If you haven't done a transmission service, it's now due. A dirty or faulty IAC can also cause grief. Cam position sensor is another possibility, especially with revving it in neutral!

With 61K, I doubt compression would be an issue, but check all the fluids, namely coolant and engine oil. If any look like chocolate milk then a bad head gasket is to blame. I say this only because I knew someone who had a 2000 Taurus and at a mere 26,000kms, the head gasket went...
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007