High Oil Consumptionon 50,000km 2003 Duratec - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 21:15   #1 (permalink)

High Oil Consumptionon 50,000km 2003 Duratec

I have a 2003 duratec Taurus with 55,000 Kms on it (35000Miles)

I bought this car at 52,000Kms. Took it in for the 50,000km transmission service and oil change.

Since then I've put 3000Kms (2000miles) on it and the oil has dropped a full liter!

There are no drips on the driveway, oil and antifreeze are clean. Doesn't smoke on start up or running.

I'm stumped!!
Yes, some engines burn oil, but nearly 2 liters per every 5000km oil change.

What have you guys experienced in this area?
Does Ford typically warranty issues like this? (I still have 1 year on the 5 year left)

Thanks Guys,
Ross
Ross McT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 21:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: High Oil Consumptionon 50,000km 2003 Duratec

Take it to the dealer and tell them what you had to add. You're approaching the excessive area. Ask them to do an "oil consumption test." They change the oil and filter and note the km's. Then they have you stop back every few weeks and check the dipstick. They have to document the oil usage in order for them to justify an engine repair.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:51   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Rick.
I'll take it in a next week and see what they have to say.

Hopefully Ford is better than Chrysler for this sort of issue.
I had the same issues with an 89 Plymouth Voyager. I wasn't all impressed with the results that the dealership provided after spending 7grand on a "new" 3.0L engine.

"Oh the valves will seat better after a while."
"That was a bad batch of oil."
"Some engines just burn a liter of oil every 1000kms."

Thanks again,
Ross
Old 07-30-2007, 19:33   #4 (permalink)

<<Hopefully Ford is better than Chrysler for this sort of issue.>>

Ah, I wouldn't want to bet on that one.

But good luck anyway. Sometimes you get a really good dealer that knows its stuff and they run the test and stand up for you.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:44   #5 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Ford will tell you 1 qt per 1000 miles is OK.

Try some Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 13:32   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: High Oil Consumptionon 50,000km 2003 Duratec

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123
Ford will tell you 1 qt per 1000 miles is OK.

Try some Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner
That's what Chrysler states as a MAX usage. And on a 3.0L Chrysler engine, especially on earlier ones, they didn't have an oil consumption problem, they had an oil loss problem due to external leakage. They also had an issue where the valve guides would drop out of the cylinder heads- a recall on these.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 13:52   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636
That's what Chrysler states as a MAX usage. And on a 3.0L Chrysler engine, especially on earlier ones, they didn't have an oil consumption problem, they had an oil loss problem due to external leakage. They also had an issue where the valve guides would drop out of the cylinder heads- a recall on these.
On the heads on my 3.0L dodge voyager, the inner exhaust valve was forced into the cylinder by .070 or something like that. That movement causes the valve guide seal to not seat fully and leak allowing oil into the cylinders.
When I had the heads redone I used the "updated guides".
They have a snap ring installed around them to prevent this movement.

It's funny how a 2 cent snap ring on 6 valve guides can tarnish the reputation of a manufacturer.
350187 kms as of this morning on that van.

I just called my local Ford dealer and they are going to "look into it..." I'll take it in next week, but it would be nice to know what I'm up against before im at there mercy.

Failing any lack of repairs from them I might have to fall into the additive game.

My 95 Neon has 225000kms on it and doesn't burn a drop! Yet this 50000km Taurus burns oil...

I'll be sure to let you guys know what I'm told.
I never thought that would be happening on a low mileage car!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007