hissing noise, car dies at idle, cruise control stopped working - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 16:38   #1 (permalink)

hissing noise, car dies at idle, cruise control stopped working

99 ford taurus, 3.0L v6. Drives fine when I'm going down the road, but it dies or acts like it's going to die when I stop or idle. Hissing noise coming from under the hood. Just started today. Cruise control stopped working also - works intermittently. While driving down the road the throttle seems to stick - if I drive at 55pmh and take my foot off the gas the car stays at 55mph and doesn't decelerate until after a minute or two.

The EGR has been out for a while now, but the car has been driving fine. Not sure if this is related to that. I'm guessing the hissing noise is a vacuum leak of some kind?

Hope someone can help.
evimoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 17:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: hissing noise, car dies at idle, cruise control stopped working

Ok, I discovered a few things. First, upon inspection of that big caterpillar like hose that connects from my engine to my air filter - I discovered that one of the three little connecting hoses had come loose. I pushed the little hose back into the hole in the big hose, so that problem is fixed.

However, upon further inspection, it seems I found another loose hose. I there is spark plug like boot that had come loose which is located just to the left of the brake fluid container. It's well behind the EGR valve. There are two red hoses that connect to it underneath and the rubber boot (that looks like a spark plug boot) is supposed to connect to some kind of vacuum that's protruding from behind the engine. When I reached back to grab boot the whole thing came loose. It was already disconnected from the protruding vacuum on the back of the engine, but it came loose from those two little red hoses too.

What's this go to exactly, and how important is it?? It looks like the main hose connects to the EGR from underneath. How did these all manage to come loose exactly??

I've got pictures, but they won't upload.

Last edited by evimoore; 09-07-2008 at 18:01. Reason: add pics
Old 09-07-2008, 18:02   #3 (permalink)

Old 09-08-2008, 15:57   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: hissing noise, car dies at idle, cruise control stopped working

Quote:
Originally Posted by evimoore View Post
Ok, I discovered a few things. First, upon inspection of that big caterpillar like hose that connects from my engine to my air filter - I discovered that one of the three little connecting hoses had come loose. I pushed the little hose back into the hole in the big hose, so that problem is fixed.

However, upon further inspection, it seems I found another loose hose. I there is spark plug like boot that had come loose which is located just to the left of the brake fluid container. It's well behind the EGR valve. There are two red hoses that connect to it underneath and the rubber boot (that looks like a spark plug boot) is supposed to connect to some kind of vacuum that's protruding from behind the engine. When I reached back to grab boot the whole thing came loose. It was already disconnected from the protruding vacuum on the back of the engine, but it came loose from those two little red hoses too.

What's this go to exactly, and how important is it?? It looks like the main hose connects to the EGR from underneath. How did these all manage to come loose exactly??

I've got pictures, but they won't upload.
The spark plug boot like elbow that hooks to the back of the intake and the 2 red hoses is for the EGR system. The same thing happened to my mother's 99 Sable, which is a Duratec like yours. The elbow swelled up and would not stay on. I replaced the vacuum line assembly which includes the elbow and red vacuum tubes, not too complicated, not very expensive either. I wish I could find the part # of the part, it's been a few years.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:15   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, found the part #. Ford won't sell me the boot alone, they want me to buy the whole kit which is $150. Sorry, but I'm not spending that kind of money on this problem. I managed to get the boot back on and it's ok for now. I took the car to Tires Plus and they said the boot is worn out and that it needs to be replaced. Anyone know where I can get a cheaper part for the car?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:13   #6 (permalink)

I had the same problem, I just put a cable tie around the boot. Problem solved so far.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007