how to chang spark plugs on 04 taurus (vulcan) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 21:10   #1 (permalink)

how to chang spark plugs on 04 taurus (vulcan)

Hi, I have a 04 taurus with 71,000miles on its vulcan V6 3.0. I only get about 17 city MPG (I drove about 2 miles to work everyday.) and my idle is boucing back and forth around 810-860rpm(not all the time, but one in a while).
So I'm thinking about changing the spark plugs, is this could be the reason for my problem? It said the spark plugs need to be changed at 100,000miles on the manual.
The other thing is how could I access to the 3 spark plugs in the back, do I need to take off the intake manifold to work on the spark plugs? thx very much
yeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 21:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: how to chang spark plugs on 04 taurus (vulcan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeding
Hi, I have a 04 taurus with 71,000miles on its vulcan V6 3.0. I only get about 17 city MPG (I drove about 2 miles to work everyday.) and my idle is boucing back and forth around 810-860rpm(not all the time, but one in a while).
So I'm thinking about changing the spark plugs, is this could be the reason for my problem? It said the spark plugs need to be changed at 100,000miles on the manual.
The other thing is how could I access to the 3 spark plugs in the back, do I need to take off the intake manifold to work on the spark plugs? thx very much
I am not sure it applies, as I have an older Taurus, but the best way I have found, is to disconnect the hood from the hydraulic lift tubes, and open it all the way to the max. That gives me plenty of room to basically lay across the engine, and get at the plugs.

That is how I did it. No way could I do it with the hood open the the tiny bit that it does normally.

John
jmbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 19:59   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbrush
I am not sure it applies, as I have an older Taurus, but the best way I have found, is to disconnect the hood from the hydraulic lift tubes, and open it all the way to the max. That gives me plenty of room to basically lay across the engine, and get at the plugs.

That is how I did it. No way could I do it with the hood open the the tiny bit that it does normally.

John
Hi, John: thanks for the advice. I read from somewhere else, people said it may need to remove the intake manifold to access those spark plugs. I'm not sure if this is for duratec engine or vulcan engine. But your advices help too, I may check it out when i have time
Old 10-31-2007, 21:28   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: how to chang spark plugs on 04 taurus (vulcan)

Quote:
Hi, John: Thanks for the advice. I read from somewhere else, people said it may need to remove the intake manifold to access those spark plugs. I'm not sure if this is for Duratec engine or Vulcan engine. But your advices help too, I may check it out when I have time
Neither requires intake removal. Just remove the R. cowl screen, the piece that it sits on top of and you should have easy access.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 22:07   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636
Neither requires intake removal. Just remove the R. cowl screen, the piece that it sits on top of and you should have easy access.
thx. I heared that for vulcan, I dont actually need to remove anything to change spark plugs. is there any tricks? It's my first time, so I dont feel like remove too much stuff off if possible. thanks again
Old 10-31-2007, 22:21   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: how to chang spark plugs on 04 taurus (vulcan)

Quote:
thx. I heared that for vulcan, I don't actually need to remove anything to change spark plugs. Is there any tricks??? It's my first time, so I dont feel like removing too much stuff if possible. Thanks Again
The 2001 directions I have for the 3.0L Vulcan do not instruct to remove any additional parts.
1. Grasp plug wire boot and twist it back and forth then pull wire off of plug.
2. Using spark plug socket, remove the spark plugs.
3. A light dab of anti-seize compound on the plug threads will pay off down the road for you or whoever takes them out next.
4. Install spark plugs.
5. Put a dab of di-electric grease in plug wire boots. Reinstall plug wires. Better yet, replace the plug wires too. Get the wires from the dealer. Better than aftermarket.
Hope this helps.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 22:42   #7 (permalink)

just that easy? it just like what I did for I4....... Thx a lot. let me give it a try :) just the three in the right side of the engine seems like PITA
Old 11-04-2007, 15:22   #8 (permalink)

I have a feeling that your problems are due to a vacuum leak or a bad sensor, not your plugs, unless you live in a very corrosive environment.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007