Re: How to position 2000 mercury sable rear sway bar for end links?
The stabilizer bar bushing and bracket are part of the stabilizer bar assembly. The stabilizer bar will not easily turn in the bushing. The vehicle suspension must be raised to ride height to remove and install the stabilizer bar and link.
Both sides of the stabilizer bar and link must be removed and installed. Only one side is shown.
1. Remove the hub cap or wheel cover.
2. Measure the distance from the center of the hub to the lip of the fender with the vehicle in a level, static ground position (curb height).
3. Remove both rear wheel and tire assemblies.
4. Position a safety stand at the front of the vehicle under the subframe.
5. Detach the front muffler insulator from the muffler.
6. Position jack stands under the rear suspension and raise the suspension until the distance between the center of the hub and the lip of the fender is equal to the measurement taken previously (curb height).
7. Remove the nuts, washers, bushings, and bolts. Detach the stabilizer bar assembly from the body and the links.
8. Lower the suspension and remove the jack stands.
9. Carefully remove the stabilizer bar assembly out of the right wheel well.
10. Remove the nuts, washers, bushings and links from the strut.
11. To install, reverse the removal procedure.