I am out of solutions.....98 Taurus "no start" - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 16:54   #1 (permalink)

I am out of solutions.....98 Taurus "no start"

Okay, this car, for the past 5 months have been giving me some "no start" issues consistently, but not as bad as it is now.

When I attempt to start, it sounds as if it wants to start (always for the 5 months it has been doing it), but just wont crank over. However, sometimes just after a few hours of leaving it alone and trying again, it would start.

Starting about a month ago, it was giving me problems and seem like it would not start, so I began using some fuel injector and putting it in the tank, after about an hour, it would start.

Now the problem, starting last week. For the past 7 days, it has NOT started since. It still sounds like it want to start but wont crank up. The Service Engine Soon light is on as well.

Everytime I turn it on (before starting), I can hear the fuel pump starting (squeaky sound) so I was told the fuel pump is most likely not the issue, I was wondering what would be some solutions and/or issues with the car.

BTW: Car is at 207,000 miles, I know it may just be on it's last legs, but to last until the summer will be good for me. So much have been put into the car ($ wise) even though dealerships may have just took money and did lousy job. Please, someone give me some solutions.
dch1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 17:35   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: I am out of solutions.....98 Taurus "no start"

Do you get spark to te spark plugs when you crank it? The fuel pump should hum and not squeak.
Old 02-04-2012, 17:52   #3 (permalink)

If this car of yours has been giving you problems for the last 5 months why did you not
do something about it then ? What are the codes ? You've let 5 months of damage pile up.
Good luck on that one. No offence.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 18:02   #4 (permalink)

Well it does hum, I don't know why I used squeak.

As far not doing anything for 5 months. Well, the first week it began doing it, I immediately took it to mechanic. He claimed there was no issue but decided to "treat" the battery, the battery was some weird purple color after they finished. It continued to do it certain days (usually Monday mornings and Friday evenings) not everyday of the 5 months. However, when the mechanic told me there was nothing he can detect, and usually when the car starts it's fine, what was I to do? I am not very good with cars at all. Plus, it was my 1st semester of Law School and I didn't have time to begin to learn or anything.

Last I check, when I changed fuel filter (about 4 1/2 months ago) there was spark, at least my GF dad said it was, but he used screw driver trick so idk if that's a good indicator. How can I check to see if it's spark plugs, because I have a strong belief that's the problem, either spark plugs, or wires.
Old 02-04-2012, 19:58   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It's done the same way your GF dad did it. That would tell if it's getting spark. When there's a problem, there's usually a code set. That would be a good time to check.
Old 02-04-2012, 20:57   #6 (permalink)

Can't get it to AutoZone to use their code reader. Anywhere I can get one that wont break the bank, otherwise should I just buy the code reader from amazon? I seen one for 18 bucks. Unless there's a way to find out the codes without the obdii reader?
Old 02-04-2012, 21:28   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Call Autozone, they may let you use one for free.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:54   #8 (permalink)

I am literally on the bus until I figure something out with this car, or find another reasonable priced car and Autozone isn't particularly close. Is this OBD II reader any good? If so, I would just buy it since it seems having a scanner is good.

Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive

I don't want to put much more money into this Taurus if it's damage goods, but finding a reasonable priced car, while also in school is a tough task, especially during income tax season.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:36   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It may work, but read the reviews on that page. I always read the low ratings first. Click on the one star and see what they say, then the 5 stars.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:38   #10 (permalink)

Yet another issue. I noticed when going out this morning, when I attempt to start car now, it doesn't even get enough juice to attempt to start. The battery is dead after 1st try until I jump start it. It has done that the last 3 or 4 days, but for the most part I would hook up the cables to try and start it, but my GF says the past 3 or 4 days, after 1 attempt to start, battery is dead now. I know that's not the underlining issue, because even jump starting it won't make it start, but this is yet another issue and now I am wondering what could that be? This is a brand new battery (less than 1 year old).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007