I overtightened my lugnut and snapped it OFF! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 13:25   #1 (permalink)

I overtightened my lugnut and snapped it OFF!

Hi Guys,
2000 Ford Taurus SE with rear drum brakes

Time for a torque wrench. I overtightened my lugnut on the rear driver side tire and snapped one of the lugnut studs off. Is there a way I can replace that piece? I went on Rock Auto and it seems I can but I just wanted confirmation.

Again thanks for all the help and can anyone recommend a good brand of Torque wrench to remove my spark plugs?
Schleprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 20:39   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: I overtightened my lugnut and snapped it OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Hi Guys,
2000 Ford Taurus SE with rear drum brakes

Time for a torque wrench. I overtightened my lugnut on the rear driver side tire and snapped one of the lugnut studs off. Is there a way I can replace that piece? I went on Rock Auto and it seems I can but I just wanted confirmation.

Again thanks for all the help and can anyone recommend a good brand of Torque wrench to remove my spark plugs?
Yes, the wheel studs are replaceable. You hammer the remainder out, then there's a special wheel stud installer set all of the tool makers sell. You can also try a stack of washers behind the lug nut to draw the stud in. It will take muscle to tighten the lug nut or tool if you don't have air tools.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 23:13   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Re: I overtightened my lugnut and snapped it OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
Yes, the wheel studs are replaceable. You hammer the remainder out, then there's a special wheel stud installer set all of the tool makers sell. You can also try a stack of washers behind the lug nut to draw the stud in. It will take muscle to tighten the lug nut or tool if you don't have air tools.
I second that!^^ An air ratchet is a requirement in my book along with a good compressor. These studs really sit tight in the bores, and rightfully so! That's what gives you the security and peace of mind in knowing that your wheel isn't going to fall off.
Old 06-23-2010, 14:17   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
Thanks for the help. I am going to get right on it with a real mechanic with real tools.
My Best, Schleprock
Old 06-23-2010, 14:20   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStromberg View Post
I second that!^^ An air ratchet is a requirement in my book along with a good compressor. These studs really sit tight in the bores, and rightfully so! That's what gives you the security and peace of mind in knowing that your wheel isn't going to fall off.
Thanks my man for the quick response. I will take it to someone who knows what the heck they are doing ha ha!

My Best,
Schleprock
Old 06-29-2010, 17:05   #6 (permalink)

You can buy them at any parts store. Usually they're knurled and you have to press (or bang) them out and back in.

Instead of using a mechanic save your dough and buy a torque wrench. You'll never break another one with a torque wrench.
qman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 18:38   #7 (permalink)

You guys lose it ? No offence. You bash the old stud out with a hammer and bash the new stud in with a hammer and punch. No compressor. No new tools. No washers. No press. No problem.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 18:50   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
You guys lose it ? No offence. You bash the old stud out with a hammer and bash the new stud in with a hammer and punch. No compressor. No new tools. No washers. No press. No problem.
You'll play hell trying to bash a new one in with a hammer & punch, not enough room. Use a small stack of washers, an over sized lug nut or something similar, and pull it in with the new lug nut. OR, get it started with the new lug nut, then temporarily put the wheel on then pull it the rest of the way in. Remove wheel, inspect stud, replace drum & wheel, tighten lugs to 100 Ft/Lbs
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 19:44   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
You'll play hell trying to bash a new one in with a hammer & punch, not enough room. Use a small stack of washers, an over sized lug nut or something similar, and pull it in with the new lug nut. OR, get it started with the new lug nut, then temporarily put the wheel on then pull it the rest of the way in. Remove wheel, inspect stud, replace drum & wheel, tighten lugs to 100 Ft/Lbs
Yeah, that was the story of my life when I had to replace studs on the rear passenger wheel of my 1991 Town Car. The hammer was an epic FAIL and the compressor got it done. I bought new lug nuts for that wheel and used the old ones to draw the stud in with an air ratchet. The old ones mushroomed pretty good with the force needed to draw those studs in. I would like to meet the incredible hulk that could have accomplished that task with just a hammer. I live in Minnesota though. Salt over the years can make things pretty interesting even for the experienced.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:43   #10 (permalink)

Remove the nut and bearing and drop the hub on the floor. Lots of room.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007