idle air control valve and questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 10:34   #1 (permalink)

idle air control valve and questions

Ford couldn't find any definite reason for why my 2001 Taurus 24V DOHC, 85k miles had two evenings (2 weeks apart) that it stalled when placed into drive, and once died at a light (but restarted). It was fine for them...

They road tested it (I assume!) did star test, pid moniter, fuel pressure was 53 psi, fuel trim and baro pids,baro 156--all ok. I don't know what all that is.

Tested the IAC duty cycle and got 54% which they say is High. They suspect it is beginning to fail. Also suggest a fuel filter.

SO, it the IAC a likely suspect and what should it cost to repair? This is the DOHC, pain in the butt, engine. The part is about $90 and they want $50 labor--1/2 hour. I have heard it is easy to do myself, but wondered on this engine if it is as easy or if it is buried some. Afraid of messing it up!

They claim it looks pretty good otherwise, didn't notice any tranny issues and gave me the cheapest price (out of 3) for a power steering rack!
whitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 14:57   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: idle air control valve and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitall
Ford couldn't find any definite reason for why my 2001 Taurus 24V DOHC, 85k miles had two evenings (2 weeks apart) that it stalled when placed into drive, and once died at a light (but restarted). It was fine for them...

They road tested it (I assume!) did star test, pid moniter, fuel pressure was 53 psi, fuel trim and baro pids,baro 156--all ok. I don't know what all that is.

Tested the IAC duty cycle and got 54% which they say is High. They suspect it is beginning to fail. Also suggest a fuel filter.

SO, it the IAC a likely suspect and what should it cost to repair? This is the DOHC, pain in the butt, engine. The part is about $90 and they want $50 labor--1/2 hour. I have heard it is easy to do myself, but wondered on this engine if it is as easy or if it is buried some. Afraid of messing it up!

They claim it looks pretty good otherwise, didn't notice any tranny issues and gave me the cheapest price (out of 3) for a power steering rack!
Pain in the butt engine??? NO WAY!!! The IAC is right on top of the upper intake, is held on by two bolts, and just has a electrical connector going to it. This engine isn't too bad to work on. A water pump on 2001-up Duratec's is a little more involved then older models, but basic service is fairly easy.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 15:05   #3 (permalink)

Re: idle air control valve and questions

I'll see if I can locate it. Assuming I do it myself, should I use a Ford OEM part, or just get the NAPA one for less $$? My friend seems to think NAPA is fine. It's an older car, so it doesn't have to last forever, just work for 2 years or so...

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 15:12   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
I'll see if I can locate it. Assuming I do it myself, should I use a Ford OEM part, or just get the NAPA one for less $$? My friend seems to think NAPA is fine. It's an older car, so it doesn't have to last forever, just work for 2 years or so...

Thanks
NAPA part should be just fine. TRUST ME, it's not that hard to locate, right on top of the upper intake- near the throttle body. Although the valve is not mounted on the TB, the passage for it runs through the TB. So it would be a good idea to remove it and clean it well, especially with a stalling issue. Don't leave the TPS on the TB while cleaning- the cleaner will seep into the TPS and cause problems.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:34   #5 (permalink)

I clearly located the IAC! I will pick up my NAPA part this weekend. Are there instructions on the order of operations?? Do I unscrew it first, or disconnect the electrical? Do I disconnect the battery at all? How about putting the new one on? Which order?

Obviously, I am nearly clueless, so I'll leave the TB alone. With my luck I'll dislodge some piece of gunk or something and need a whole new one or something. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2007, 12:27   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
I clearly located the IAC! I will pick up my NAPA part this weekend. Are there instructions on the order of operations?? Do I unscrew it first, or disconnect the electrical? Do I disconnect the battery at all? How about putting the new one on? Which order?

Obviously, I am nearly clueless, so I'll leave the TB alone. With my luck I'll dislodge some piece of gunk or something and need a whole new one or something. Thanks!
With the key off, disconnect the connector, remove the screws, and remove the IAC. Make sure the old gasket comes off, then reverse the procedure.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:19   #7 (permalink)

Question Re: idle air control valve and questions

Hi Tbird,

I have located and someone explained to me how to take off the IAC. This person said I should get carburator cleaner and spray around the 2holes where the IAC goes into. He means the 2 openings on top that the IAC covers. He said there will be residue there and I should just give it a quick spray and it will dissolve. He said it is okay for this carb stuff to get in there as it will burn off.

Do you agree?

I did get a new gasket in the box with the valve from NAPA.
Old 07-31-2007, 13:18   #8 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
Hi Tbird,

I have located and someone explained to me how to take off the IAC. This person said I should get carburator cleaner and spray around the 2 holes where the IAC goes into. He means the 2 openings on top that the IAC covers. He said there will be residue there and I should just give it a quick spray and it will dissolve. He said it is okay for this carb stuff to get in there as it will burn off.

Do you agree?

I did get a new gasket in the box with the valve from NAPA.
It will disolve and burn off. Just have the tube going to the TB off so you can put a rag in the opening of the TB to catch the dirt coming out of the passage.
Old 07-31-2007, 13:42   #9 (permalink)

The tube to the TB?? I'm only aware of the holes that the IAC connects to that go down into the engine somewhere. Where is this tube?? I don't want to disconnect anything comlicated! I have a photo of the engine with IAC...Maybe you can explain it to me. I will try to attach it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IAC valve.jpg (92.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-31-2007, 13:51   #10 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: idle air control valve and questions

Quote:
The tube to the TB?? I'm only aware of the holes that the IAC connects to that go down into the engine somewhere. Where is this tube?? I don't want to disconnect anything complicated! I have a photo of the engine with IAC...Maybe you can explain it to me. I will try to attach it.
The large tube going from the air cleaner box to the throttle body. Just unclip the air cleaner lid, loosen the hose clamp at the throttle body, give it a little twist and pull it off the throttle body. Don't bother disconnecting the MAF sensor or IAT sensor, just set the whole lid, sensors and tube aside. The IAC valve is on the top of the upper intake manifold as you see. Mounted near the IAC on the side of the intake is the throttle body. (The silver thing mounted to the black plastic intake.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007