Idle problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2003, 09:30   #1 (permalink)
mikewal

Idle problems

I own a 1993 Sable. I'm having problems with the idle searching up and down (almost stalling) while in park or neutral. The weird thing is while under load the idle is smooth. If I simply put the car in drive or turn on the AC while in park the idle smooths out. I was previously having intermittent starting issues and found a service bulletin relating that to the fuel pump. With the fuel pump replaced it now starts consistantly but has this freaky idle thing going on. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2003, 16:55   #2 (permalink)
drwhit73

Possibly could be your throttle position sensor.
Old 08-25-2003, 15:56   #3 (permalink)
afordmnhere

Thumbs up

THE ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM, same thing just happend to me , i replaced the ( IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE ) and it runs great now , no more surging. Its located under a black cover near the throtle linkage , it costs about 50 bucks . Hope i solved your problem , later
Old 08-26-2003, 05:34   #4 (permalink)
mikewal

Problem Fixed

Thanks for the replys. I did some reading and found the solution to my problem. Apparently, the onboard computer in the car looks at various levels (o2, air flow and whatnot) and adjusts things to make the car run smooth and efficient. Over a period of time there is carbon build up in the throttle body and on the idle air sensor but this doesn't matter because the car's computer compensates for it. When I did the fuel pump replacement, I disconnected the battery. Doing this reset the car's computer to factory defaults. When I started my car for the first time after the pump replacement it was running with what it thought was clean new parts. Simply cleaning the throttle body and the idle air sensor of its carbon fixed the problem. Hope this helps someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007