If one engine mount goes out, must I replace them all? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2005, 13:45   #1 (permalink)

If one engine mount goes out, must I replace them all?

1996 LX Wagon.

I need a rear engine mount.

Am I better off replacing both mounts and the transmission mount? I'd rather to it all now.

napaonline has all 3 mounts (rear, front, and tranny) for 200 dollars plus tax.

Does that sound about right?

-mike-
Katism is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2005, 18:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: If one engine mount goes out, must I replace them all?

If one mount went on you, and you get all the mounts as a package deal, I would just replace all of them while you are at it.

I have a 1996 Taurus LX Wagon as well, how many miles are on yours?
modenaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:11   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by modenaf1
If one mount went on you, and you get all the mounts as a package deal, I would just replace all of them while you are at it.

I have a 1996 Taurus LX Wagon as well, how many miles are on yours?

I have about 75,000 on it now.

do you know anywhere online to buy motor mounts? I've priced the 3 mounts for 200 dollars total.

Also, you probably are in the same boat as me but do you have a cd player? I have a factory radio w/ digital controls but no cd controls. I tried buying a new unit but it doesn't have the same outlet as the one on my car.

I even tried to find a radio kit for an aftermarket receiver but they only make the mounting kits for the fords w/ rotary controls.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:39   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: If one engine mount goes out, must I replace them all?

You are better off replacing all three mounts now because the others are guarenteed to fail soon after. The mounts are filled with hydralic fluid which further dampens engine vibrations. It also means they are slightly more suseptible to fail. The 1991-1995 Taurus/Sable were famous for these going, especially in 3.8 applications. There is no solid mount replacements available. The mounts you are buying from Napa are of a revised design to increase the life of the mounts. Good Luck!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 14:57   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katism

Also, you probably are in the same boat as me but do you have a cd player?

Well, I think I am in a different boat as you, no engine mount trouble yet (or none that I know of. How do you know when you need a new engine mount?)

I am going through transmissions though. This is the second one and I think it is starting to fail already.

Also, I may need a CV joint, and after noticing some green oil I think I may have a head gasket or something going.

Going through brakes quite a bit as well, but the new rotors seem to be working better.

My current issue is finding out if a 1998 style (type 5) remote entry transmitter will work with my 1996 (type 3).
modenaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 17:19   #6 (permalink)

Ok I founds mounts but here is my issue.

I'll get the best deal if I get 2 of one brand and one of another. Napa has the engine mounts for cheaper and Advance Auto Parts has the tranny mount for cheaper. Am I able to use different brands?
Old 03-25-2005, 21:46   #7 (permalink)

You can do whatever you want, a part is a part, however NAPA offers a very good product line, I woul be more apt to stay with their parts rather than a "discount" auto store brand.
ShoNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007