Injector problem--- I think - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 19:51   #1 (permalink)

Injector problem--- I think

My car 99 Taurus, Vulcan engine is running rough. I keep getting a cylinder 5 misfire. Also included are lean fuel faults...I don't have the fault numbers as I type.

I have changed the coil block twice, spark plugs and wires. I notice that sometime especially when the car is cold, the engine runs smoothly. I think I have a dirty injector.

I have measured the DC resistance and the injector in question reads about the same as the others with 16 ohms. I am at a loss about how to replace this injector. They don't seem to be threaded in. Are they pressed in somehow???

How big of a job is to replace this guy. Fortunately it is in the front of the engine so that helps. Yes, I know I have to get the pressure off the rail, got an easy idea on that. Plan to trip the switch in the trunk...the roll over switch and then just run the engine until it stalls.

I have put about $40 of junk (Wally World) cleaners into the tank. No luck so far. Just bid on a can of bk44g or is it bg44k. anyway I doubt chemicals to solve the problem but who knows.

Advice??

Thanks

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 20:51   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Injector problem--- I think

I'd start by changing out your vacuum lines and bushings. You're getting a lean code that's worse when it's warm, I wouldn't expect a fuel filter or pump to respond like that. Besides, if it's a 99 and you're still running the original vacuum lines, they have to be dry rotted by now.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:04   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
I'd start by changing out your vacuum lines and bushings. You're getting a lean code that's worse when it's warm, I wouldn't expect a fuel filter or pump to respond like that. Besides, if it's a 99 and you're still running the original vacuum lines, they have to be dry rotted by now.
Naw, its not the lines. And a plugged injector can give a lean condition.

Back to my question, how do I replace an injector?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:25   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/1ojyz...rd-taurus.html
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:22   #5 (permalink)

Got it!

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 19:05   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Posted by tbird100636 in another thread.

Quote:
I could be as simple as a bad fuel injector, or it could be more complicated and be a valve/cylinder head issue. Try swapping fuel injectors and see if the misfire moves to the other cylinder. You'll have to remove the upper intake to access the back 3 injectors, numbered 1-2-3 from right to left. Swap numbers 2 & 3 and the misfire should move. If it doesn't move then the next thing to check is cylinder sealing by a leakdown test. Compression test won't show anything if you have a valve sealing issue, only if you have a major breakage.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 19:11   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Also the link that RSLogan posted was free info.

Quote:
Here you go. You will need to remove the upper intake. I have supplied upper and lower intake R/R and injector R/R in PDF form just click the blue spots.

Upper and Lower Intake R&R

Injector R&R
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007