Ford Forums banner

instrument panel brake lights

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jwko 
#1 ·
Wife has our 05 Taurus down near Minneapolis for several days where it's been very cold and snowy. Yesterday, son in law drove it to work and brake light and ABS light were on. Brakes checked this summer and appeared fine. Parked it in heated garage at work for several hours and added perhaps only about 1/8 inch of brake fluid. Lights were off when he drove it home. Brake pedal felt ok both going and coming home. She is driving it 170 miles home today. Any thoughts???? Thanks, Doug

#3 ·
Thanks a ton Bert!!!
I know this isn't the forum for rangers but just encountered another problem and your credentials are impressive. Just out plowing driveway with 88 Ranger. Battery checks out at 12 volts and clamps are tight. Had to jump start it to get it going. Ran ok for awhile and has now died twice. Won't turn over at all without the jump. Solenoid? starter? alternator? Cold as heck here and hate to tear off something that isn't the problem. Any ideas? I'll be forever grateful! Doug in Wi.

#4 ·
If the headlights don't come on or are very dim, it probably isn't charging the battery. That would indicate the alternator or connections to it. Unless the battery went bad. If you have a volt meter, check the voltage at the battery when it's running. I'm originally from Traverse City, Mi. area, I don't envy you at all. Our temps are upper 40s at night and upper 50s during the day. That's actually about 10º above normal.

#5 ·
Headlights come on bright. Won't do anything now even with the charger on it in 80 amp start mode. Switched out the battery with one I know to be good and still nothing. Even did the hammer rap routine on the starter but no go. Working out in the snow and wind at 13*. Yeah...this is fun! LOL!

#6 ·
Just a comment. Don't get on the defensive. "Our temps are upper 40's at night and upper 50's during the day ". You got to be kidding. Our temps are upper - 47 at night and upper - 32 during the day. Normal. Sounds like you have a bad starter. I'd kill to have that warm a temp in the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.