Ford Forums banner

Instrument panel bulbs?

25K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 ·
how the heck do you get to the instrument panel bulbs to change them? The far right and left of my instrument panel is very dim. I am assuming it is the bulbs. The far left is the gas gauge, the far right is...I can't remember. I have only had the car nine years, sheesh. Anyway, I cannot seem to find any info in the manual or online on how to get to the bulbs.

#2 ·
You'll have to disassemble the dash. I had a couple burned out bulbs in my taurus around the speedo and it took me a few hours to complete the job. I've had the dash apart before for another matter, otherwise it probably would have taken me half the day. I changed a lot of the dash lights out at the time, as I didn't want to tear the dash apart again any time soon. First, you'll have to remove the screws located under the lip of the dash just behind the steering wheel (I like to tap my finger nails on that hard plastic while I wait in traffic!).

#3 ·
:avd::avd:

Hello and good day to you:

Linette, Replacing a Lamp (bulb) in the instrument cluster is some what difficult if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

I would strongly suggest you go to Autozone, or Advance Auto, and buy a Haynes manual for the YEAR, MAKE, MODEL of your Vehicle. There is complete instruction in the Taurus Manuel in the replacement, and removal of the Instrument Cluster.

Any further information you may need don't hesitate to post again.

Good luck and Good Repairing.

#4 ·
Depends on what year you have and if it is a floor shifter or column shift.

The G3 floor shifters are the easiest and you can have the IC out in ten minutes or so. The older cars have the mechanical speedo cable and that has to be dealt with. The column shifts require quite a bit more disassemble to get the cluster out.

#6 ·
The 2000-2007 models are somewhat involved to do, compared to the 1996-1999 console models. About the same as 1996-1999 column shift.

#5 ·
This is sort of complicated, but not hard, you just need some hand tools (Philips Screwdrivers, Torx Screwdrivers) and the radio removal tools for the ICP (Intergrated Control Panel {Radio/Climate Controls})

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the battery. For additional information, refer to Battery.
2. Remove the instrument cluster finish panel.
A. Adjust the steering column to the full tilt-down position.
B. Remove the instrument panel center finish panel.
a. Apply the parking brake.
b. If equipped with floor selector lever, position the selector lever in 1.

c. Remove the integrated control panel.

d. Remove the instrument panel lower steering column cover.
1 Remove the bolts.
2 Remove the instrument panel lower steering column cover.
e. Remove the ashtray.

f. Remove the instrument panel center finish panel.
1 Remove the screws.
2 Remove the instrument panel center finish panel.
g. Disconnect the electrical connector by reaching through the ICP opening.
C. Remove the headlamp switch.

a. Insert a thin tool to remove the headlamp switch. CAUTION: Cover the end of the tool with tape to prevent damage.
b. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
D. Remove the instrument cluster finish panel.

a. Remove the screws.
b. Remove the instrument cluster finish panel. If equipped, disconnect the traction control switch electrical connector.

NOTE: If equipped with a steering column selector lever, position the lever in the 1 position.

3. Remove the instrument cluster screws.
4. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
5. Remove the instrument cluster.

Bulb turns to left to remove, correct bulb # listed in owner's manual.
INSTALLATION
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.