Interior lights won't go out! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 20:57   #1 (permalink)

Interior lights won't go out!

Have a 97' Taurus GL and recently the interior lights, dome and floor, will not go out, plus the door lock will not lock when starting to drive. If I push the lock switch it pops back up again. When I remove the dome bulb the door lock problem continues. The lights stay on even without the ignition on.

Have checked the fuses, ok and replaced one relay, interior lamp, but same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bob
rmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 12:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: Interior lights won't go out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmunk
Have a 97' Taurus GL and recently the interior lights, dome and floor, will not go out, plus the door lock will not lock when starting to drive. If I push the lock switch it pops back up again. When I remove the dome bulb the door lock problem continues. The lights stay on even without the ignition on.

Have checked the fuses, ok and replaced one relay, interior lamp, but same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bob
Sounds like you have a door ajar problem and the door ajar light stays on. If all doors are closed tightly, spray some wd-40 in the door latches, open and close the doors a few times and hopefully it will fix it...it did mine.
taurus guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:40   #3 (permalink)

Quote:

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bob

Hi,

I have that problem off and on with my 99 SHO. I found that the wire loom seal which goes from body to door gets pulled out of one or the other. After I return it to it's original position, the lights go off.
unipsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 14:06   #4 (permalink)

Quote:

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bob
This worked for me. You will notice that Ford does not use the plunger type switches on the doorjambs. The switch is integrated into the latch, which gums up. I was told by the local dealership, to spray a good lubricant into the slot on the door- by the latch. This loosened up the switch and all works well/ I just did the drivers door as it gets the most use.

I figured it was worth a shot, before I replaced the whole mechanism.
fragmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:48   #5 (permalink)
pootz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmore
This worked for me. You will notice that Ford does not use the plunger type switches on the doorjambs. The switch is integrated into the latch, which gums up. I was told by the local dealership, to spray a good lubricant into the slot on the door- by the latch. This loosened up the switch and all works well/ I just did the drivers door as it gets the most use.

I figured it was worth a shot, before I replaced the whole mechanism.
I just had the same problem with my 95 ranger..i used WD40 works great...thanks for your help...
Old 02-12-2006, 18:31   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Interior lights won't go out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus guy
Sounds like you have a door ajar problem and the door ajar light stays on. If all doors are closed tightly, spray some wd-40 in the door latches, open and close the doors a few times and hopefully it will fix it...it did mine.
I took and sprayed each door latch with NAPA Power Lube. Pretty much the same as WD-40. Used a screw driver to work the latches back and forth and found that the drivers door was the one that was sticking. (Mercury Sable GS)

I can't thank you enough. I was ready to tear the doors apart.
Tallc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007