Large hole in vacuum fitting on manifold - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 13:07   #1 (permalink)

Large hole in vacuum fitting on manifold

Car: 2007 Taurus SE I started up fine but the car would not keep running after fast idle. Holding the throttle down kept the engine running. Classic vacuum leak scene. Searching, I found a hole of ~ 1/2 in. in the corner of the rubber right angle connector at the top of the upper int. man. on the right side where 2 small vac. hoses feed into the connector. Why? Is this a known problem? The hole looks like it was worn/melted yet there is nothing in the area that I can see around it that would cause the damage. What do those 2 small vac. line that go into that fitting control? As a temp. fix I just slathered some sili. rubber and fabric over the hole to keep the car in service 'til I get a new fitting, but i don't know what to call it. If anyone has some info. plz give me some feedback.
suednim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 17:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Large hole in vacuum fitting on manifold

Sounds like you found a good fix. Does the car run fine with the fix?
My guess would be that the two lines coming from the boot went to the EGR valve and the Heat/AC controls.
As to parts, the dealer will be able to give you a replacement pretty cheap I would think. Autozone might have a universal one in their HELP section, the replacement parts hanging on a card in the store. It is amazing what one can find there.
moto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 20:44   #3 (permalink)

I only let the patch dry for ~ 4-5 hrs. 'cuz I was impatient, but the fix seems to have worked and the car idles smooth now. I'm really puzzled why the hole appeared just 1-2 days after using the car w/o any symptoms. I've begun to think Alvin and friends may have been snacking on the rubber. Uh, don't just laugh this off, either. My Z had a hole chewed in the air filter and a nest bilt by a chipmunk in frt. of the TB. I only found it when I was taking the air cleaner stuff off to put in a new rad. Coulda been serious if I hadn't found it in time. I had to put metal lath in frt. of the air induction boot! The chipmunks (...minks?) regularly nest on the manifold and any horiz. surfaces under the hood.
suednim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 23:53   #4 (permalink)

Garage

It's amazing how even a small hole in vacuum/emissions lines/fittings can cause issues such as this. I had the infamous emissions tee on my 91 Town Car which had a small hole in it. It was a $4 part from the Help section at my local auto store but the bad one made the car run like 50 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007