Leaking Fluid from the Reserve Tank - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 06:15   #1 (permalink)

Leaking Fluid from the Reserve Tank

I have a Taurus that sometimes leaks and sometimes doesn't. It usually happens when I stop and get gas and then continue to work. The car doesn't overheat but still leaks radiator fluid from the reserve tank. I drove home in the heat yesterday (100 degrees) and it didn't leak when I got home (32 Miles). I drove to work in the cool of the morning today (70's) and it was leaking when I pulled into the parking lot. There may be a crack in the reserve tank, but then why doesn't it leak all the time?
Any help would be appreciated.
dellerbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 08:35   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Leaking Fluid from the Reserve Tank

Get a pressure test on cooling system and it should show where leak is coming from .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:38   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

" Is this something I can do myself or will I have to take it into a shop? Could this be a Thermostat problem? "

You need a pressure tester to load up cooling system. If thermostat was sticking it should overheat .
Old 09-01-2011, 12:09   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

What about filler cap , checked that is sealing o.k ?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:26   #5 (permalink)

This is a known problem on Taurus. There's usually a small split in the overflow tank. Split closes when cool and opens only when pressurized. You can buy a new one from the dealer, or I think DormanProducts.com makes an aftermarket replacement. When Dorman tools up to make an aftermarket part, you know it's a high failure rate item.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007