Leaking Trunk Fix? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 19:52   #1 (permalink)

Leaking Trunk Fix?

The trunk on my 1999 Ford Taurus SE seems to be leaking. It's no big surprise as the dealer said the trunk was full of water as a result of "the trunk having accidentally been left open in a rainstorm...". Yeah right. I had them drain it and then hose it down to see if it would let water in. It didn't (although 30 seconds with the water hose couldn't be compared to average rainfall). But today it's raining and sure enough, som water has leaked through and collected in the left side "pocket" of the trunk. My dealer won't deal with it as it's not covered in the as-is deal, but I was wondering what the best and cheapest fix is for a leaking trunk.
slackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 22:40   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Leaking Trunk Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerjack View Post
The trunk on my 1999 Ford Taurus SE seems to be leaking. It's no big surprise as the dealer said the trunk was full of water as a result of "the trunk having accidentally been left open in a rainstorm...". Yeah right. I had them drain it and then hose it down to see if it would let water in. It didn't (although 30 seconds with the water hose couldn't be compared to average rainfall). But today it's raining and sure enough, som water has leaked through and collected in the left side "pocket" of the trunk. My dealer won't deal with it as it's not covered in the as-is deal, but I was wondering what the best and cheapest fix is for a leaking trunk.
Does it have a sunroof??? The sunroof rear drains run into the trunk just above the wells. Also above the wells are the body exhauster vents. These vents allow air to escape the body for adequete ventilation and to allow easy closing of the doors. Without these the door would have to be slammed to close them completely. The vents can get torn or crack allowing water to get in.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 00:28   #3 (permalink)

Re: Leaking Trunk Fix?

Thanks for your reply.

The car does not have a sunroof. Is it possible for me to check the exhauster vents for cracks, or is that better left to a professional?
Old 03-29-2008, 18:05   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Leaking Trunk Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerjack View Post
Thanks for your reply.

The car does not have a sunroof. Is it possible for me to check the exhauster vents for cracks, or is that better left to a professional?
Yes. You can at least check the trunk side of it. It's just a plastic frame with rubber door flaps. Remove the trunk liner on each side to access them. They should not be distorted, wrinkled or shrunken. To check the other side you may have to remove the rear fascia or at least the trim at the rear of the rear wheelhouse.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:54   #5 (permalink)

Re: Leaking Trunk Fix?

Thanks a bunch for your help! I really appreciate it. I'll check the vents first thing in the morning as we're having som hellacious thunderstorms here right now. All this rain will definitely be a good barometer for how badly my trunk is leaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007