Looking for ABS Relay or maby a fuse to disable it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2004, 07:33   #1 (permalink)

Question Looking for ABS Relay or maby a fuse to disable it?

I need to disable my ABS system because my light comes on and stays one, sometimes the ABS braking kicks in even on dry pavement.

Someone mentioned that you can disable the ABS relay on a Ford Taurus. Iíve searched the net but I can not find where this thing is. Itís some type of fuse Iím guessing but a mechanic said itís not gong to be in the fuse box. I was hoping I could find this myself.
Would anyone happen to know where it it?

Advanced Thanks
Waveform is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2004, 07:46   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Looking for ABS Relay or maby a fuse to disable it?

i dont understand why you would want to disable it for. ABS is a saftey system so to say it kicks in on concrete then it must be locking up?? instead of not locking up??? if there is a warning light then its one of two things: 1, there is an earth/shorting problem for the wiring, 2, it is failing and doesnt work properly therefor meaning you need to go get it fixed.
if you disable a safety system and are then involved in a crash even though it may not be your fault you will be held accountable as you disabled what could have stopped you crashing in the first place.

please explain further by what you mean "sometimes the ABS braking kicks in even on dry pavement."
Old 08-08-2004, 11:10   #3 (permalink)

Yes there is something wrong with it: Until I get $800 bucks to blow on an ABS system it is more unsafe to have it active then to just disable it as I was told by a mechanic who in on vacation this week.

Anyway I almost rear ended someone because the damn thing kicked in on a hot sunny day. Basically it only doses it when I first start driving my car and after about 5 minís the breaks are fine yet the light still stays one.
You make a good point in the accident clams department but for now I need to turn it off because itís more dangerous with it one.
Lots of people turn their ABS systems off even when they buy a new car.

And investigator can tell if an accident is related to breaks or not. If someone rear ends you, then whoís fault is that? ABS or NO ABS, the world is not a round place itís very expensive when it comes to care parts, I'm still looking for the relay?
Old 08-13-2004, 21:21   #4 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

What year Taurus Do you have? Most of the major relays are in the little black box under the hood.
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 22:27   #5 (permalink)

Hay 98shotoy, sorry I took so long, I thought you guys gave up on me.

Itís a 1995 3.0L 4 door taurus standard engine.
Old 08-17-2004, 22:55   #6 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Not a problem!! Some nights I dont get alot of calls and other nights its busy.

Check under the hood for a small black box. It should be on the drivers side near the fender or battery area.
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007