Losing My Faith in Ford! Oil Pan gasket update - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 09:46   #1 (permalink)

Losing My Faith in Ford! Oil Pan gasket update

Hi to all,
2000 Ford Taurus 3.0 V6 OHV, 180,000 miles

I couldn't take off my catalytic converter Y pipe because Ford decided to weld the rear exhaust bolts and nuts on the rear manifold. I could cut them off but then I would have to drill them out Way too much work.
Just no logic if you ask me

I went on Youtube and the 2001 Taurus that was shown had bolts and nuts, NO WELDING!

I worked the oil pan back and forth but it seems to be caught up on something inside pan. Can I yank the pan off without doing any damage.

I got this car with 49,000 miles and the guy before me got the car with 34, 000 miles so this welding was done by Ford.

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks for the help.
Schleprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 11:13   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Losing My Faith in Ford! Oil Pan gasket update

Quote:
I worked the oil pan back and forth but it seems to be caught up on something inside pan. Can I yank the pan off without doing any damage.
NO. The Y pipe will have to come down to allow the oil pan enough room to clear the crank journals and the oil pump pick-up tube. At least 4 or 5 inches.

*edit - I wonder if unbolting both exhaust manifolds from the heads would allow enough drop to get the oil pan out? Might look that over and see about how much you could get. I know you'll have to remove the oil filter and possibly the starter on the front but not sure on the back. I'm not even sure it can be done, just something to look at.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 15:57   #3 (permalink)

Hey jwko how is it going. I hope well. That's why I am Schleprock. A Black Cloud over me and it's funny I live in Texas and we have a drought. I can't even bring rain here lol!

I thought about it and it is such a minute leak that I put everything back together. Now my starter sounds like the teeth are not aligned. How do I put the starter in its proper position.
I just put it back on the way it came off and it made a terrible metallic sound.
Old 08-06-2011, 19:34   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

We've had that drought around Ft Smith also. No rain in almost a month and a half and very hot temps.

The starter should go in with no problems and align itself. I'd double check to see if something has gotten pinched between the two surfaces or bound up somewhere. Also check the torque on the bolts, should be 18 lb-ft.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:48   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Only other thing you could maybe check is if starter pinion drive is free and sliding on shaft o.k . Sometimes get covered in s*** and stick causing probs when meshing / releasing with ring gear .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:15   #6 (permalink)

You are a mindreader my friend.All I could think of was that maybe I overtorqued so I went on alldata and got the 18lb-ft info. I torqued it to just that.

I started it up and it made the sound for two seconds like it was trying to catch it and now we are a-ok. So I checked and saw some smoke coming from upper manifold bolts on the top of engine where it connects with the cat and I am waiting for car to cool off then I will torque 30lb-ft with the torque wrench.

Really jwko doesn't fit you, maybe Buddha, or Exalted One because you have been a fountain of info and it is very much appreciated. Thanks again and take care.

Schleprock in Texas
Old 08-07-2011, 11:56   #7 (permalink)

I miswrote, the smoke is coming from the dual converter y pipe where it connects to the upper manifold. Those are the nuts I am torqueing 30lb-ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007