Misfire codes after head gasket job - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 15:23   #1 (permalink)

Misfire codes after head gasket job

I just spent the weekend replacing the head gaskets on my 99 Taurus (3.0L OHV) and at the moment of truth, she fired back up. I replaced the gaskets, the water pump, the spark plugs and the thermostat. I'm now getting three codes, P0300, P0301, and P0302. The latter two are cylinder misfire codes for cylinders 1 and 2. The car actually runs while while at cruising speed and when accelerating. At startup and idle, I've got issues. It's struggles just a litlte bit at start up and then it idles rough. If I just let it sit for ten minutes idleing, the check engine light starts blinking. If I drive for a couple of miles, the blinking stops and it runs fine. I don't think I have any issues with vaccum lines. I double checked the plugs and they're fine. I got an ohm meter to test the coil, but to be honest don't know how to check it. One of the things I've also though is the fuel injectors. When I took out the fuel rail, the injectors in the back came out very easily and didn't seem to be nearly as tight at the O-rings into the intake as the front three injectors. Any advice on what could be causing the misfires?
jdhgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 18:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: Misfire codes after head gasket job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhgator View Post
I just spent the weekend replacing the head gaskets on my 99 Taurus (3.0L OHV) and at the moment of truth, she fired back up. I replaced the gaskets, the water pump, the spark plugs and the thermostat. I'm now getting three codes, P0300, P0301, and P0302. The latter two are cylinder misfire codes for cylinders 1 and 2. The car actually runs while while at cruising speed and when accelerating. At startup and idle, I've got issues. It's struggles just a litlte bit at start up and then it idles rough. If I just let it sit for ten minutes idleing, the check engine light starts blinking. If I drive for a couple of miles, the blinking stops and it runs fine. I don't think I have any issues with vaccum lines. I double checked the plugs and they're fine. I got an ohm meter to test the coil, but to be honest don't know how to check it. One of the things I've also though is the fuel injectors. When I took out the fuel rail, the injectors in the back came out very easily and didn't seem to be nearly as tight at the O-rings into the intake as the front three injectors. Any advice on what could be causing the misfires?

When you CEL (check engine light) Blinks this does indicate a Misfire. and will give you a Error Code stating witch Cylinder is Misfiring. And will stop as you Accelerate the RPM's

Check the Coil Pack for any Cracks, or moisture in or around it, also check to make sure you seated the Plug wires fully into the coil pack, and unto the Plugs them self.

Rule of thumb...always replace new "O" rings on the Injectors when you Pull the Rail off the lower Intake Manifold.....But I doubt that would cause your Misfire codes

Misfire Codes are usually Electrical by nature.
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 18:43   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Misfire codes after head gasket job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post

When you CEL (check engine light) Blinks this does indicate a Misfire. and will give you a Error Code stating witch Cylinder is Misfiring. And will stop as you Accelerate the RPM's

Check the Coil Pack for any Cracks, or moisture in or around it, also check to make sure you seated the Plug wires fully into the coil pack, and unto the Plugs them self.

Rule of thumb...always replace new "O" rings on the Injectors when you Pull the Rail off the lower Intake Manifold.....But I doubt that would cause your Misfire codes

Misfire Codes are usually Electrical by nature.
Not usually. You should do a leakdown test of the affected cylinders. Could be a valve sealing issue, maybe a cracked head (not impossible on a cast iron head). Pull plugs and see if they're wet with coolant. Run the engine with the radiator cap off and see if bubbles form in the coolant.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 19:32   #4 (permalink)

I've checked the plugs, and they're dry. they also don't appear to be burning. I think the block is good, and the seals all seam good. There's no noises that would indicate a lack of compression or crack. And a crack would probably hurt the performance during acceleration and cruising. It seems for all the world like an electrical issue. Does anyone know how to check a coil pack with an ohm meter? Also, I pulled the plugs from the coil with the enginge running one at a time and was able to see the spark spanning the distance at all cylinders. #2 showed some eratic sparking that looked like it was coming over the sides rather than reaching for the plug wire, and that's one of the bad ones.
jdhgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 23:14   #5 (permalink)

I'm having the same exact issue. Someone please help us!
Taurus724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 19:28   #6 (permalink)

I'm no mechanic, but I think I'm having the same problem. After a freeze out plug rusting, and temperature sending unit not working, I cracked a head. My mechanic replaced the head, head bolts, and put a complete gasket set on. He said it was still showing a misfire on cylinder 3. He said he replaced the plugs and wires, but with no luck. It is still cutting out. He said he checked the plugs and was not showing any moisture. He was going to do some more checking, but does anyone have any suggestions.
jayell73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 20:55   #7 (permalink)

I have had the same issue, and im at wits end. I have replaced, the fuel pump, filter, plugs, wire, coil, injector, cam shaft position sensor, and a complete head gasket job, not to mention a new alt, and battery. I am still getting the misfire on cyl 1 error code. I have honestly sunk enough money into this car that I get sick just looking at it. It is my daily runner, and I have to drive it as is. It still has a ton of get up and go, and barrels down the highway with no issues, but still has the misfire at low rpms and idle. Occasionally the CEL will flash and the engine barely has enough umph to get going. I did notice when I replaced the #1 injector the car ran great for about 20 miles. Purred like a kitten, and lots of power. However it shortly went back to the same problem. Please help. 2001 Taurus V6 3.0 VIN U

Thanks in advance.
timcdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 21:24   #8 (permalink)

frown Re: Misfire codes after head gasket job

Quote:
Originally Posted by timed View Post
I have had the same issue, and I'm at wits end. I have replaced, the fuel pump, filter, plugs, wire, coil, injector, cam shaft position sensor, and a complete head gasket job, not to mention a new alt, and battery. I am still getting the misfire on cyl 1 error code. I have honestly sunk enough money into this car that I get sick just looking at it. It is my daily runner, and I have to drive it as is. It still has a ton of get up and go, and barrels down the highway with no issues, but still has the misfire at low rpms and idle. Occasionally the CEL will flash and the engine barely has enough umph to get going. I did notice when I replaced the #1 injector the car ran great for about 20 miles. Purred like a kitten, and lots of power. However it shortly went back to the same problem. Please help. 2001 Taurus V6 3.0 VIN U

Thanks in advance.
Well this Mechanic saw you coming and is Nickel, and Dimeing you to Death....I have replaced, the fuel pump, filter, plugs, wire, coil, injector, cam shaft position sensor, and a complete head gasket job, not to mention a new alt, and battery

First I would SUE the Hell out of this guy after the first few tries. But serious...Who put the Injector in?? you or this Mechanic? If Mechanic get someone New Some how your injector sending unit is not timing with the Air intake flow...

What type of code do you get when you CEIL (check engine light ) comes on???:barbital:barbital
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007